Featured Student: Joshua Savage pursues passion for art

Freshman displays servants heart, academic perseverance

Every month The Feather highlights one individual from the student body who demonstrates exemplary character and or admirable dedication to classes or extracurricular activities. Teachers choose those who display the before mentioned characteristics in the classroom setting. The objective of the following article is to honor the effort of students to live by Caleb Code Standards: Seek Truth, Speak Life, Serve Others.

20151218-fc-joshsavage-002
[/media-credit] Spanish teacher Rachel Rodriguez nominated freshman Josh Savage for Student of the Month for his academic excellence.

December’s Featured Student is Joshua Savage, nominated by Spanish teacher Rachel Rodriguez. Rodriguez says Savage shows patience and perseverance in his pursuit for excellence in the academic sphere.

“This quote by Frank Ocean reminds me of Joshua ‘Work hard in silence, let success be your noise’,” Rodriguez said. “When he is given an assignment, he literally is silent and takes his time in getting it done. He does not rush. When the assignment is complete it is done with excellence. He is about detail and the details add up to a masterpiece.”

One of Savage’s favorite pastimes is art. He first became interested in the hobby as a young child.  His brother, an artist himself, taught Savage valuable skills of the trade. Today Savage enjoys sketching and creating water color pieces of house plans and landscape layouts. In the future, he plans to incorporate art into a career path.

Savages says art serves as both a creative outlet and as a stress reliever.

“Art makes me relaxed,” Savage said. “I feel like when my life gets too stressful, I can sit down and just make up different house plans or think of a new design or layout I can do. It’s just really cool and really relaxing. “

In addition to art, Savage and his mother often help set up camps, Bible studies and decorations for Peoples Church.

“I help out at church because it blesses me,” Savage said. “It gives me some joy knowing I’m making someone else’s job easier, and it overall makes me happy just knowing that I’m giving back to the church. Some people think that helping people out and being a servant means work, work, work and you get nothing out of it, but that is not the case. Working hard and putting in true effort for not only the individual you are helping out but for God gives you absolute sheer joy. God will bless you for blessing others. ”

I believe that God has blessed him with sensitivity to the Holy Spirit and a servant’s heart. If Josh sees that help is needed, he will be the first to step up. Just recently, my husband and I got back from a draining business trip and Josh recruited his siblings and led them in decorating the house for Christmas to cheer us when we returned. . His idea, as always, done beautifully.Joshua Savage 

Savage remembers the wise words of HS students who visited during gender chapel when he was in JH. He counts their advice as valid and among some of the best he ever received. Savage imparts similar advice to both JH students and peers who encounter difficult times.

“Never give up,” Savage said. “Stay strong with God. Don’t leave him. Don’t abandon your relationship with Him. And keep that relationship with Him going throughout life, even when it’s tough.”

Savage also puts a high value on family relationships. He says he is thankful for a supportive and compassionate family.

“To me they are always there for me.  They support me with my art and with my schooling. They really encourage me a lot.”

Mother Marylou Savage, recounts a recent instance of Joshua’s willingness to serve his family whole heartedly.

“I believe that God has blessed him with sensitivity to the Holy Spirit and a servant’s heart.” Savage said. “If Josh sees that help is needed, he will be the first to step up. Just recently, my husband and I got back from a draining business trip and Josh recruited his siblings and led them in decorating the house for Christmas to cheer us when we returned. . His idea, as always, done beautifully.”

Friend Ashley Winchell describes Savage as a loyal friend and says he was one of the first people to greet her when she came to the school.

20151218-fc-joshsavage-001
[/media-credit] Savage has an interest in art and actively pursues artistic endeavors in school.

“He’s a nice friend, He’s very sweet,” Winchell said. “He’s just a really nice guy. I think he’s more of a guy who’s more talkative. When we first became friends he was really nice and accepting.

Savage says her ultimate hope for her son is to grow in the Lord and discover a calling in which he can serve others.

“Josh is sincere and caring. He works hard at all he does and is a good leader when tasked with the responsibility,” Savage said. “My hopes for Josh’s future are that he first grows in his faith and relationship with Christ and that he learns to be a good Spiritual Leader for his future wife and children. I pray that he finds a career where he can be a blessing to others.”

Fun Facts about Joshua Savage

• If he could have any superpower it would be to fly and see the world from another perspective.
  • If he was an animal he would be a tiger.
  • His favorite book is Heart Mender.
  • Pepperoni Pizza is his favorite food.
  • If he could be any fictional character he would be Peter Pan.

For the Featured student of Nov., read Featured Student: Jeremiah Sieperda excels in new enviroment.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @skylerklee.