Elections identify future leaders

The candidates walk onto the stage and anxiously view the audience who waits in anticipation to hear the speeches the candidates have prepared. They are each introduced and listen intently to their components at the podium presenting their speeches.

This will be the scene at the Associated Student Body (ASB) elections on May 5. The students will be running for the offices of president, vice president, secretary and treasurer.

?I think we have three of the most qualified candidates running this year,? Josh Tosland, leadership adviser, said.

The junior candidates running for president are Brandon Cain, Tara Albretchson and Kim Bimat. Those running for ASB president are required to demonstrate a high level of commitment and responsibility to lead the campus government.

?I want to give a speech that the student body will respect and remember,? Albrechtson said. ?One of my goals for next year is to encourage others to be involved. I know that God is going to work through whoever is elected as president.?

Each candidate diligently put together a speech to express to their fellow classmates their strengths and the dedication that they will bring to the school. Candidates hope to have a positive influence on the student body by using their strengths to better the campus.

?I am excited about running for president, I am hoping that people will be receptive to what I have to say,? Bimat said. ?I am running against two amazing people and I know next year will be great.?

The position of student body president will require a faithful and supportive attitude. The candidates resume their positive attitudes as they anticipate Thursday?s elections.

?I am not nervous about running for president, my major goal is to be a good leader and have the best year next year,? Cain said. ?It will be great to be in leadership no matter what my position will be next year.?

Leadership advisors have high expectations set for next year and are anticipating the outcome of this year?s elections.

?It appears we are going to have a very strong senior class,? Tosland said. ?There are many students who I consider to already be leaders on campus and are wanting to improve the school with all their abilities.?

For more information on the elections or student leadership, contact Tosland at [email protected] or Ericlee Gilmore, leadership adviser, at [email protected]. The elections will be held in Ground Zero on May 5.