Softball welcomes coach's return

Can a team compete without a coach? How far can they go with a new coach and little experience?

Former softball coach Robert Foshee returns to the spot for a new season with the lady Eagles. He took a leave of absence, to take care of his family.

?I really missed the girls and the game,? Foshee said. ?But I had to leave to spend time with my pregnant wife and take care of our son. It?s really nice to be back though.?

While Foshee was gone, the girls grew impatient for his return and his positive work ethics and discipline.

?When Mr. [Greg] Page [former dean of men] coached us we were allowed to be pretty laid back and obviously that reflected in our playing abilities,? Jessica Berg, ?07, said. ?Now, with Foshee, we are more disciplined and our record is much easier to bear.?

The lady Eagles, who are now 3-4 in the West Sierra League [WSL], attribute their building record to the return of their former coach. Senior Hillary Kell agrees that Foshees? hiatus was not without disappointment.

?I honestly missed Foshee,? Kell, team captain, said. ?I?m glad he came back. He makes sure that how we learn is the basis of what we use of those talents when it really counts in games.?

Even though switching coaches has a large effect on the entire team, the players found themselves individually affected as well.

?We did not have a lot of practice or experience with the previous coach,? Andrea Munoz, ?06, said. ?We were not able to learn, as a result our game suffered. But with Foshee?s return we have been working hard and I have more playing time.?

The players respect Foshee for his priorities in the game and what should be important to the girls, even throughout life.

?Winning matters, but Foshee wants us to take ownership in our team and have responsibility and pride,? Kell said. ?I feel like he cares more about the big stuff and we?re able to feel his concern on the diamond.?

Junior team captain Lindsay Brush believes Foshee?s leaving augmented the team?s experiences and helped build up the team.

?I think Foshee leaving was a learning experience,? Brush said. ?It is difficult for any team to switch coaches. This obstacle from last year has taught us to work harder and come together as one team this season.?

The next softball game is home against Tranquillity at 4:00 P.M. on Apr. 28. For more information regarding girls? softball, contact Foshee through the high school office at 299-1695, ext. 143.