Senior class vacation bonds students

Seniors gathered together around the campfire stage, waiting for one of the highlights of any senior retreat. While most became quiet, a group of 12 students prepared to act out many sketches describing life on campus. The impersonations of the faculty, along with other activities, created an environment for bonding and sharing.

The senior class vacationed together at Calvin Crest Camp on the weekend of Oct. 20-21 to develop a sense of unity. The purpose of the senior retreat has always been to develop new friendships with those outside of one’s immediate group of friends.

“We couldn’t have had more fun,” Chelsea Myers, ’02, said. “The way people put down their barriers and come together was truly inspiring.”

The senior retreat was a time of class unity and gave the seniors a chance to put their year’s focus on what truly matters–God.

“This was one of the best senior retreats we’ve ever had,” Scott Falk, senior Bible teacher, said. “The attitudes were great and the worship experience was outstanding!”

One of the things that stood out the most to this year’s seniors was the worship and sharing time, in which time with God was led by unobligated students for over two hours.

“When you get the opportunity in such a small group,” said John Wiens,’02, one of the leaders in worship, “You’re aloud to focus more on God. Because of that, it makes it more personal.”

“This year’s senior retreat worship was awesome,” Amy Gentz, ’02, said. ‘I was able to see my classmates in a new and personal way while worshiping God together.”

Besides worship, the seniors were put into random groups to perform various skits in front of each other, including impersonations of many teachers.

“It was fun to see the teachers being made fun of without consequences being given out for it,” Nick McClintock, ’02, said.

During one of the sketches, laughter filled the air when Jon Graham lumbered into an imagery second period civics class and, wiping his head with a cloth, yelled at them with a voice almost identical to Principal Gary Schultz. The class was in silence when Graham continued to shout, “I better not see that again! This better be the last time I see that!” After Graham left the room, the audience exploded into laughter.

“I laughed so hard I almost fell off the bench!” Jevon Price, ’02, said. “They were so dead-on it was almost scary.”

The retreat also included free time for the students to indulge themselves in activities like swimming, foosball and the opportunity to use the giant water slide known as ‘The Flume’.

Not only was the senior retreat an event where memories were made, but the class was also able to accomplish its expected goal and bonded with each other at the same time.” “” “” “” “” “