Boys Soccer Sport Short: Minarets

Eagles nab an early season win, 1-0

20160115-fc-boys-soccer-002
[/media-credit] Boys soccer won their early season game against Minarets, Jan. 12, with a score of 1-0.

The boys soccer team faced Minarets HS in an away game that began the 2015-16 league season. Last year FC’s record against Minarets was 1-1. This year the Eagles looked to take advantage of the matchup and hopefully take an early season win, Jan. 12.

The first game of the season for the boys was an away game versus Minarets. The night was cold and the teams were both fired up looking to get a win against a good opponent. The game started off fast and very even. The two teams stayed even for a good portion of the first half except when junior, Jacob Bynum, made a goal, making the score 1-0.

With both teams fighting, one to stay ahead and one to even the score, the game continued to be a thriller. The first half ended with the score still at 1-0 and the Eagles knew that they had to keep up their sharp play to keep this lead over Minarets.

The start of the second half began another piece of the game that would be just as intense to watch. The fans of both teams cheered loud which boosted the morale of the players. However, with less than 15 minutes of play left, a brief altercation between Jacob Bynum and #14 (Roster Withheld) went down which resulted in a red card for the Minarets player.

We played extremely hard and disciplined. We need to continue to play disciplined and at a high work rate in order to win and be successful. This sets up the season nicely. Our goal from the beginning of the season is to make the playoffs and ultimately win a valley championship. — Matthew Markarian

The last minutes of the game seemed to last a lifetime but in the end, it was the Eagles who had bested their opponent and taken the win to start their season off 1-0.

Coach Matthew Markarian believes the win came from the hard work and dedication from his players and is happy with how this win sets them up for the season.

“We played extremely hard and disciplined,” Markarian said. “We need to continue to play disciplined and at a high work rate in order to win and be successful. This sets up the season nicely. Our goal from the beginning of the season is to make the playoffs and ultimately win a valley championship.”

Freshman Alex Rurik enjoys the win over Minarets because he recognizes the team’s great play over a tough opponent.

20160121-riverdale-soccer-001
[/media-credit] Instilled with excitement from their win, the boys’ soccer team hopes to excel and participate in the valley championship.

“Starting off league 1-0 is super nice especially beating minarets and a close game,” Rurik said.” It feels good that this year we were able to start off with a win compared to years before.”

The 1-0 Eagles look to improve their record when they face Riverdale High School on Jan. 15. The Eagles are in high hopes to continue this season on a good path.

For more information about the FC Boys’ Soccer Team check out the latest sport short: Boys Soccer Sport Short: Tranquility

This author can be reached via twitter: @Julian_Castro09 and via email Julian Castro.