Vacation provides break in routine

Television and the media promote spring break as party time with lots of bikinis, alcohol, and teens running around unsupervised.

Yet for campus students, spring vacation is a time to hang out with friends, where partying is more the exception than the rule. In a recent poll of the student body, 68% plan to hang out with friends sometime during the break which begins March 14 and continues through March 28.

Brianne Raymer, ?06, will be hanging out with her friend Brandon Cain, ?06, in Japan over the break.

?I?m going with a bunch of people from Brandon?s church in Kerman, which has a sister-city in Kannamia, Japan,? Raymer said. ?We?re going to Tokyo for a day or two, and then we?re spending the rest of the nine days in Kannamia.?

While Raymer is in Japan, Sarah Bonnar, ?07, will be snowboarding while speculating what happened to her Mexico mission trip.

?There were about 80 or 90 of us going down to a village called El Por Venir to help build a church and office building,? Bonnar said, ?but when the chaperones heard that we were sleeping in tents, they all pulled out of the trip. Plus, our contractor and cook couldn?t come.?

Over the break, Corinne Pogue, ?06, will be eating berry ice cream, as she recovers from having all four of her wisdom teeth being removed.

?They [the dentists] need to move my teeth, so they?re cutting through the bone and gum to remove them,? Pogue said. ?I?m not going to have a fun couple of days.?

Others will find familial obligations to fill their time. Rachel Balint, ?08, will be helping her sister, Jen, prepare for her October wedding.

?I?ll be typing out the guest list and things like that,? Balint said. ?I?m so excited about the wedding, I was jumping up and down when I found out they [sister and fianc