Caricatures display comedic prowess

To some, cartoons simply provide laughs. Others however become a source of political mockery. For some cartoonists, their art becomes a medium to express their thoughts and opinions.

Rather than using his cartooning prowess for anonymous doodling, senior Tyler Charest chose to create and submit a political cartoon to display his talents.

“I don’t particularly enjoy cartooning but I do it because it’s easier than art,” Charest said. “I like drawing caricatures and portraits of different people though. I want to be good at drawing because there is a career opportunity in it.”

While Charest views his artistic talent as a possible career, art teacher, Sharon Scharf, encourages his potential.

“I think he [Charest] has a great deal of ability in drawing,” Scharf said. “Two years ago I did a unit in class on caricatures and he displayed a great deal of ability. So I let him run with it and I continue to hone his skills.”

Though Charest may have a cartooning aptitude, he credits most of his motivation to Scharf.

“Mrs. Scharf gives me new people to caricature everyday,” Charest said. “At home she’ll print out pictures of different people and tell me in class to cartoon them, so I do. I am never bored cartooning.”

As often the case, inspiration does not evolve overnight. Initial motivation for Charest’s skills begin with Scharf’s persuasion.

“Once Mrs. Scharf gave me a picture of Saddam Hussian and told me to caricature him,” Charest said. “I tried to portray him according to his personality using a huge uni-brow and him staring into a tank.”

While Scharf may provide him with ideas, Charest does not always like the subject behind his topic.

Charest depicted democratic politician, Michael Moore, with the sluggish body of the Star Wars character, Jabba the Hut. His caricature was published by a republican website, Mighty Righty.com.

“I don’t like Michael Moore at all and I usually just cartoon people that I don’t like,” Charest said. “He didn’t even go to college and seemed to have just popped out of no where. I also think he’s pompous.”

Charest’s cartoons do not only revolve around detested politicians. Some of his favorite sketches are based off more personal and amicable themes.

“My favorite cartoon was a caricature of Papa [Principal Gary Schultz],” Charest said. “I really like Papa and I think he’s great, so I decided to sketch him. I think I’m on his good side though because I play football or maybe because he just likes ?Tylers’.”

To view Charest’s cartoon or other drawings, go online to www.mightyrighty.com.