Boys Soccer Sport Short: Fowler

20160120-fc-soccer011
[/media-credit] Junior Jacob Bynum warms up his shot prior to the game against Fowler.On Monday, February 1 the boys soccer team played a home game versus Fowler HS in a league competition. The Eagles were 2-3 up to this point in the season.

This was the second time that the Eagles and the Redcats were matched up against each other. The first meeting was in Fowler and the Eagles fell to the Redcats 0-5. Now on their own turf the Eagles were ready for some revenge and hoped to take a win away from a strong opponent.

The game started out quickly with an early goal from senior, Caleb Goodale, assisted by Freshman Alex Rurik. But Fowler was not upset about this goal and would eventually even the score out minutes later. The first half was a well fought battle between the two teams but the Redcats ultimately had the advantage as the Eagle defense was struggling to fulfill their assignments.

Fowler would score one more goal in the first half to make the score 1-2 at halftime. Coach Matthew Markarian’s halftime speech allowed his team to feel rejuvenated, confident, and ready to win the game despite being down a goal.

[fusion_soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/245610938″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

With the start of the second half, the Eagles looked stronger and more composed in all aspects. Rurik scored early in the second half, evening the score at 2-2 and giving the Eagles even more confidence to finish the game.

The defense of the home team was holding strong in the second half and not allowing Fowler to capitalize on any opportunities. The second half was tense as both teams were so close to winning but could not seem to best the other. However, with 15 minutes left to play, Junior captain, Jacob Bynum, scored on a free kick to lift the Eagles over the Redcats 3-2.

Although Fowler fought hard for the remaining time in the game, the Eagles held on to take a well earned victory from the Redcats.

Coach Markarian was very pleased with his team’s performance in the game and understands how this sets up the future for the boys soccer team.

“I was very proud that we were able to win the Fowler game. We had a good game plan and the team executed it beautifully. This was a crucial game for playoff seeding and more importantly for confidence heading into last part of our season.”

Bynum is proud of his team and is satisfied with the win on his home turf.

“It’s really good that we finally got to win on our home field against a high level team. I think we deserved to based on the way we played.”

With this win the Eagles improve to 3-3 in league competitions. Their next game is Friday, Feb. 5 at Riverdale HS.

For more FC soccer sport shorts check out the latest one: Boys Soccer Sport Short: Riverdale

This author can be reached via twitter: @Julian_Castro09 and via email [email protected]