Class strives to create float

Homecoming week flies by each year in a whirl of activity that culminates in the presentation of the floats during halftime of the football game. As onlookers cheer on their favorite float, they may forget the hard work that goes into making this event possible.

Every year, all four classes compete in an effort to truly display their creativity and individuality.

As the freshmen struggle to accustom to high school tempo and traditions, some feel helplessly lost in the confusion that float building brings.

“The process of building a float is very stressful,” Samantha Krikorian, ’08, said. “Working in the shadow of older students just makes everything harder.”

For the past two weeks, the freshmen class has gathered at Krikorian’s home on the weekends to build their homecoming float. The class plans to portray a ’50s diner, in keeping with the event’s “Decades” theme.

“I’ve gone to Sam’s house once,” Ronnie Gianetta, ’08, said. “We painted float materials, and discussed further ideas. Just don’t get caught inside doing nothing!”

As they work, each class runs into difficulties that test their ability to cooperate and compromise with one another.

“We all see a different side of one another when we’re stressed about the float,” David Bethea, ’08, said. “There are a lot of times when we differ in opinion and don’t get along.”

In an effort to complete the float within the deadline, and have it be a spectacular product, all freshmen students are asked to contribute all that they can.

On numerous occasions, frustrated freshmen tried and failed to secure a trailer on which to display their homecoming scene. Eventually, a 24-foot trailer was donated to the project, courtesy of Ashley Chavez, ’08, and her parents.

“We will not actually receive the trailer until the Thursday before homecoming,” David Fujihara, ’08, said. “We will need to work hard to successfully transfer the project from Sam’s garage onto the trailer before Friday.”

In spite of personal issues, the freshmen have made progress. Two weeks ago, only ideas existed, and now, a physical display is on the verge of completion.

Students who attend the weekend meetings are presented with the opportunity to ride on the float during homecoming.

Ultimately, the freshmen hope to surprise their fellow classmates.

“Homecoming is competitive,” Krikorian said. “We just want to do our best.”

For more information on freshman float building, contact Fujihara, Krikorian or Bethea (student leadership represenataives).