Unlock love for books

Dear editor,

I hated the embarrassment of not being able to read as well as the other students in the first grade. “Club Empowers Young Readers”, by Mary Kneefel, Oct. 5, discusses the importance of reading and how to prevent the same discomfort I went through as a child.

After I read this article, I recalled the time I read to a group of second graders a few years back. At first, I was a little nervous. But after I got to know the kids, I didn’t want to leave.

The ability to read seems so natural to me and I don’t realize the importance of it. I began to think about the people all around the world. They possess no education, except what they know to survive. God’s given many people this chance to prevent illiteracy through this program.

I felt a tug at my heart to take part in an activity like this. The quotes of the past volunteers showed how much they look forward to a chance to read to a child. They told how they were changed through this experience and what an impact it made.

When I saw the amount of reading time with the kids, it did not seem long enough. But 12 hours could be the key to unlock a child’s love for books. The Book Buddy program displays an example of how community service can affect someone’s life forever.