Tennis team seeks consecutive league title

20150306-fc-tennis-002
[/media-credit] The Eagles shake hands with their opponents after their match.

The days are getting longer, the weather is getting warmer and tennis season is in full swing. Last season, the Eagles’ varsity boys tennis team had great success as they went on to win league, along with finishing the season with an undefeated record of 12-0. The Eagles are seeking to repeat the past and take home a consecutive league title.

Despite losing multiple seniors, coach Robert Foshee, is confident in the younger players and feels that this years team is athletically superior to that of last years team.

“I feel confident about this year,” Foshee said. “We graduated our top 2 players, but the players this year are more than able to fill the void and I think we’re actually more athletic this year. I think the returning players from last year gained a lot of experience from last year’s run that will help them be prepared for this year.”

Tennis is different than other sports. Unlike sports like basketball and football, where you must rely on your teammates to take some responsibility, tennis is mainly an individual sport, unless you play doubles. When playing singles, it is important to not let one play get in your head.

Coach Foshee says that if the team continues to work hard, he likes their chances to win league for a second straight year.

Zach Passmore returns the ball during his game.
[/media-credit] Zach Passmore, ’17, returns the ball during his game.

“I think we have a great chance to repeat last year’s league success,” Foshee said. “The key will be getting through Fowler and Firebaugh. Both teams are always tough and they return most of their players from last year. As long as we work hard, I like our chances of doing well.”

Despite battling some hardships, Nevan Gonzalez, ’17, believes that the Eagles can win league once again.

“I feel good about the season,” Gonzalez said. “The four seniors last year were less consistent than the younger players. I think we should have a great season. I think we will win league but I think this year will be a little harder than last year so we will have to overcome some hardships.”

The Eagle’s have already played two league games, and it seems that they have picked up right where they have left off. The Eagles traveled to Coalinga on Feb. 25, to take on the Horned Toads. The Eagles took care of business, sweeping Coalinga, 9-0. On March 1, FC took on the Caruthers Blue Raiders on the road. This game seemed to give the Eagles a bit more of a challenge. They still managed to take home the victory, 6-3.

[fusion_soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/249854486″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

The Eagle’s next games will be, March 5-6, at the California Tennis Classic hosted at Fresno City. Come out and support your Eagles!

This author can be reached via Twitter: @nick_leblanc1 and via email: Nick LeBlanc.

For more sports, read Boys Basketball playoff sport short: Liberty.