High expectations motivate band

The silver baton rises into mid air; the drum major stands alone in front of the band.

The musicians follow in unison as the drum major steps off; the sun shines off various instruments and creates a gleaming spectacle of sight and sound.

At the Caruthers Parade and Band Review, the band placed second, under Hanford West, on Oct 2. Both the flag team and drum major placed first.

“I was very excited to place first,” Melissa Jimenez, ’05, said. “We did well as a band, since we are a new band, (mostly freshman). I think we should place well in future competitions.”

Just starting the new marching season, the band hopes to reach their high expectations. Some of those expectations result from previous competitions, Paul McEntee, band director, has one goal in mind.

“For our first performance, it was an exceptional job,” McEntee said. “We will not take another second place all season long.”

After placing first, the flag team still plans to work hard. Their success in competitions does not hinder their motivations to continue their practices.

“We placed well in this small competition,” Catie Walker, ’07, said. “We should do well during the season and against better schools.”

Matthew Shattuck, ’07, participates in marching band, concert band and jazz band.

“I enjoy playing my saxophone,” Shattuck said. “I love learning new pieces and charts. Also, studying music theory is interesting to me”

Shattuck started playing the saxophone when he was introduced to band in elementary by high school students. It’s a tradition for high school students to play/recruit elementary students on campus.

“I was introduced to music at a young age,” Shattuck said. “In fifth grade my love of music started to grow, after playing the sax.”

Shattuck finds that having friends in the band is an important part of band, something that binds the band together.

“My friends in the band and I have common interests,” Shattuck said. “I always have someone to talk to, we get along easily. It is crucial that all the members of the band get along, as one.”

The band’s next competition is the Visalia Band Review on Oct 16.

For more information contact the high school office at 299-1695, ext. 5 or contact McEntee at [email protected].