Newbie luncheon acclimates

Dear editor,

Student luncheons create a lasting impression. I read and appreciated the online Sept. 1 article, “Lunch Welcomes New Faces,” by senior editor Melinda Davis.

Three years ago, on my first day at school, the bell rang for fourth period. I knew that meant lunchtime, but that is what I was dreading. I was new, and this was a whole new place for me.

Where was I going to sit? Who was I going to talk to? I walked around by myself.

The next day as I walked lonely down the stairs a strange guy named Brandon Cain (’06) asked me, “Are you Christie Belden?” He handed me a piece of paper and took off. It was an invitation that invited me to the new student luncheon.

I was so excited. I did not have to walk around by myself or try to make friends. I went into the JJ room for the special lunch for newbies at our school.

The instant I walked in, Kim Bimat (’06), a leadership member, asked what school I came from and had me in line to eat some great food. We played a few “get to know you” games and had the chance to hear a little more about our school and what happens at lunch.

For the new kids at our school, the luncheon provides a place to go, a lunch and people who can introduce you to others of your age. The luncheon is the best idea I have ever heard of to make a friend and get to know our new school.