Alexis Kalugin nominated for the CSF Seymour Award

Alexisk-bio
[/media-credit] Senior Alexis Kalugin was chosen to become the Fresno Christian’s nominee for the Seymour Award by Michelle Warkentin.

Every year across the country, high schoolers strive to receive scholarships or other achievements that will secure them a ticket into college. One of the most prestigious scholarships a high school student can receive is the Seymour Award.

Every year, California Scholarship Federation (CSF) advisors are allowed to chose two of their most exceptional students to be nominated for the scholarship. Nominees must be CSF Sealbearers and can only be nominated by their advisors. Today, the award is given only to fifty students every year.

This year, Fresno Christian senior, Alexis Kalugin, has been nominated by advisor Michelle Warkentin. Kalugin will have to fill out an application and send it to a panel of judges, who will then decide whether or not she will move on to the regional level.

“The Seymour Scholarship is a prestigious award because it is a competition among the top students from high schools around the entire state,” Warkentin said. “The students selected each year have outstanding resumes and I am always amazed by the caliber of students represented at the event.”

Warkentin chose to give the nomination to Kalugin not only because she is an exceptional student, but also because of her diligent behavior and her heart for service.

“Alexis has a heart for serving those around her. She is dependable, a great student, and gives one hundred percent effort in everything she does,” Warkentin said. “I believe that if she is nominated to go on to compete at the regional level she will do extremely well. The competition is an interview format. I believe Alexis would shine in this type of competition because she has a great presence about her. She is respectable, professional, and articulate.”

If Kalugin moves on to the regional level, she will automatically win a $2,000 scholarship. Regionals will consists of 15 nominees at Hanford High School and will be held on April 9, 2016. The winner will receive an additional $3,000 and move onto the state level.

My year, there was about 10 of us, ranging from future NASA engineers, city planners, lawyers, journalists and doctors. The experience was rewarding even though I didn’t win because I got to network with some of my amazing peers and I still talk to some of them today. I think Alexis will do great and I hope she has success, but also I hope she makes the best of the getting to meet new people that are just as accomplished as her. –Tynin Fries, ’14, FCS Seymour Award winner

Alumna and previous Feather editor Tynin Fries, ’14, was a nominee for the scholarship during high school as well. Fries shared about reaching the last round of selection and how the experience benefited her. Fries is currently a sophomore attending Arizona State University and the Walter Cronkite school of Journalism.

“I made it to the final round of the Seymour scholarship selection, which basically means that you attend a group interview that determines which of the applicants gets the whole scholarship,” Fries said. “I loved the group interview because the people that you meet are other candidates and they are all so unique and driven. I think Alexis will do great and I hope she has success, but also I hope she makes the best of the getting to meet new people that are just as accomplished as her.”

Being nominated is an honor only given to a select few of the best CSF members, and an even fewer amount make it far enough to receive any scholarship money. Kalugin is now in the process of anxiously awaiting to see if she will be picked to advance to the regional level.

“If I make it, I will be in an interview process during the quiz bowl,” Kalugin said. “It is nerve-racking to think about, because the interviews will be with everyone who was picked. I think the questions they are going to ask have to do with community service, but I do not actually know.”

2016Alexis072
[/media-credit] Kalugin not only stays active in school, she also gets involved in her community.

Kalugin encourages anyone who is interested in academics to join CSF because of the unique opportunities it brings to members.

“High school is a perfect time to serve others and it is worth the investment of time,” Kalugin said. “CSF is totally worth it. The commitment does not take too much out of your time and there are many opportunities that can come from it. You never know what other opportunities you will receive from being involved in clubs and service projects.”

Kalugin not only stays active in school, she also gets involved in her community. She enjoys being involved in church and communal activities whenever she gets the chance. In her spare time, Kalugin enjoys hobbies such as dancing, reading and spending time with her friends. Kalugin is also a part of the photojournalism team here on The Feather Online.

This author can be reached via FacebookInstagram and Twitter.

For another features article, read Scholastic Journalism Week Recap.