Home economics students complete annual pajama pants project

20160203-fc-home-econ-007
[/media-credit] Art and home economics teacher Sharon Scharf teaches students the basics of sewing.

Students display diligence in completion of project in Sharon Scharf’s class

Since the beginning of the second semester, students in home economics began to start the time consuming process of making pajama pants. Each student learns the skills of sewing from art and home economics teacher Sharon Scharf. They learn the basic home skills as an adult using sewing machines.

The idea to hand make clothing came from interested students who wanted to learn the art of sewing from Scharf. Overtime the idea has evolved to making pajama pants. The students wanted to make something warmer and more comfortable to wear.

For those who don’t know how to sew, Sharf suggests that beginners learn the basics first.

“To make pajama bottoms students need to know how to cut a pattern, to sew the pattern, how to finish a seam and how to sew straight seams while ironing after each,” Scharf said. “If you need to repair a garment, learning how to sew is a very valuable ability to have. If you want to learn how to sew first you need instructions. Joanns actually organizes sewing classes to help get people started, youtube is also a good source to learn from.”

As the first day of second semester arrived, Scharf surprised her students by wearing pajama pants. For years, the project of sewing pants became a tradition in Home Ec. At first, Scharf had her students construct boxer shorts because they were popular among the students at that time.

The tradition has now shifted to making pajama pants. From the beginning of the semester till now students in both period 1 and 3 have taken their time sewing the perfect pajama pants. The pants themselves are created out of a soft flannel suggested by Scharf.

While the students create their own pajama pants, Scharf also comes alongside and constructs her own each year.

“I have several pairs of pajama pants that I have made alongside the students,” Scharf said. “I would wear them several different ones throughout the winter because they are comfortable.”

[fusion_soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/249497913″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

When searching for fabric, Scharf recommends certain fabric stores offering discounts. Stores like Joanns and Michaels provide an array of selections from students to choose from. They can purchase whatever flannel pattern they want to use to construct their pajamas.

With about six to seven students is each class, about half from both classes have finished. The rest are cheered on by their classmates on their neared completion. After they complete their pajamas, left over fabric is used to make a pillow sham.

To make pajama bottoms students need to know how to cut a pattern, to sew the pattern, how to finish a seam and how to sew straight seams while ironing after each. If you need to repair a garment, learning how to sew is a very valuable ability to have. If you want to learn how to sew first you need instructions. Joanns actually organizes sewing classes to help get people started, youtube is also a good source to learn from.–Sharon Scharf 

For two weeks, home economics student Jacob Avedian has constantly worked on completing his pajama pants to the best of his ability.

“The best part to me was turning the pants inside out because they were basically done,” Avedian said. “The worst part would be when we were trying to cut them out and get them matched up perfectly. It took me two weeks to finish them in class.”

20160203-fc-home-econ-003
[/media-credit] Students use fabric to construct pajama pants for Home Ec. class.

Over the years, students in her class have broadened to making shirts and have received rewards because of it.

“It is always fun trying to find some wild fabric,” Scharf said. “I have had students make shirts and skirts before. I had two boy students make shirts and enter them in the Fresno Fair and they both won a sewing machine.”

The next project on the list is a handmade gift for mothers in time for Mother’s Day. Each student will manufacture a cross stitch potholder to give to their mothers. Once students have mastered the art of cross stitching they are going to compose a crazy quilt square out of leftover fabric.

By the end, after the classes have constructed their pajama pants, each will model their creations of pajama pants. For all the hard work that Scharf’s students have made, she plans to treat them to gift of donuts.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @jennypenny8835 and via Email: Jenny King.

For another features article read Featured Student: Fiona Soto explores wide range of interests.