World of Sports: March Madness brackets revealed

13300603015_3b5eca450c_o
[/media-credit] Syracuse landed a 10 seed in March Madness and will play Dayton, March 18.

The selection committee has come together and the 2016 tournament brackets are finally filled. Known for its unpredictable outcomes, March Madness gives any team a chance to bring home the title of national champions. Some powerhouses such as Duke and Kentucky normally advance to the Elite Eight or even the Final Four, but that might not be the case this year. Not only did those teams produce a sub par season, but this college basketball season had a record setting amount of upsets.

In the last two weeks, teams have competed in their conference tournaments. The winner of the tournament gets an automatic bid to the tournament, no matter their record. Holy Cross (14-19), had the second most losses in history for a team that made March Madness. For the teams that do not win; their future was in the hands of the selection committee.

The four number one seeds are, Oregon, Kansas, Virginia and North Carolina. In my opinion, Michigan St. was robbed of being a one seed. Not only did Michigan St. have a better record than three of the one seeds, but they also won the Big Ten tournament. Michigan St. was able to land a a two seed in the Midwest region.

Ohio State was also robbed of a spot in the tournament. They did finish the season with a disappointing, 20-13 record with bad losses to UT Arlington and Louisiana Tech. However, eight teams made the tournament with a worse record. Syracuse, managed to capture a 10 seed with a record of, 19-13. There is some controversy to this selection due to the fact that teams like Monmouth and South Carolina failed to land a spot. There is some talk that the selection committee picked Syracuse only because of the conference they are in and the teams they have faced.

17218309301_ee7cf0fb88_o
[/media-credit] North Carolina is one of the four number one seeds and kicks off the tournament on March 17.

There are many teams who have to ability to make it all the way. In my opinion, Michigan St. has the best chance to go all the way. They start off the tournament with an easy match-up against Middle Tennessee. If they advance they will face the winner of the Dayton-Syracuse game. Dayton should be able to take care of business against a mediocre Syracuse team. The only team in their region that might give the Spartans some trouble would be Virginia. The Cavaliers are used to play well disciplined schools and match up nicely with the backcourt from Michigan St. I think that Michigan St. guard, Denzel Valentine, should continue his success from the regular season. He averaged, 19.4 points, 7.6 rebounds and 7.6 assists.

Bulldog fans are probably looking forward to March Madness more this year than in years past. The Fresno State Bulldogs defeated SDSU in the Mountain West tournament, 68-63 and managed to pull a 14 seed in the Midwest region. They will be taking on the three seeded, Utah Utes on March 17.

A popular tradition that occurs during this time is filling out the tournament brackets. Fans spend hours researching in hopes to fill out the perfect bracket. With an upset bound to happen at any given moment, the chances of a perfect bracket are slim, but I still encourage everyone to fill one out.

Arguably the greatest month of basketball is here and teams are ready to showcase their talent. There will be upsets, tears and celebrations so buckle up and get ready for the madness.

For a completed bracket, see: 2016 NCAA Bracket.

For last weeks sports column, read: World of Sports: NBA legend announces retirement.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @nick_leblanc1 and via email: Nick LeBlanc.