Leadership evident on court

As the ball flies over the net, Tara Albrechtson, ’06, sprints across the court. She dives and sets the ball for the hitter.

The lady Eagle runs towards the net, squats, and then leaps up towards the ball. As she reaches the pinnacle, she raises her arm. “Whack.”

A piercing whistle cuts through the noise of the crowd. The referee raises his hand and signals that the Eagles have won 25-20 in their first set.

Coach Larry Orender attributes the teams’ success to leadership from Albrechtson.

“She is focused on the things that she needs to cultivate to be successful,” Orender said. “She has great mentality and maturity. She is the carrier of the leadership torch on the team.”

Albrechtson’s leadership is evident throughout the game. Albrechtson leads the team not only through statistics, but in a physical presence as well.

“She is the team leader in aces and assists,” Orender said. “One of her major attributes is not needing to have the ball on every play to be an efficient.”

However, volleyball is a team sport. One person can influence the outcome of a game, but ultimately the team has to play united to win.

“Her actions are always done to bring success to the team,” Lindsay Martins, ’05, said. “It also can be reflected in her own success.”

Albrechtson sets work ethic which team wants to follow.

“When I go out onto to the court I give my best,” Albrechtson said. “I want to acknowledge the importance of my teammates, such as Lindsay Martens and Ali Ramirez, [’05], for their hard work and dedication to the team.”

Family influenced Albrechtson in her athletic decisions.

“I think my sister helped influence my progression in sports,” Albrechtson said. “However, even when I was little I hated just sitting at home doing nothing. I have always liked playing sports after school.”

In addition to volleyball, Albrechtson plays girls’ basketball.

Another volleyball player, Melanie Nachtigall, ’08, is also following in her sister’s (Michelle) footsteps on and off the court. However, her style of play differs from her sister’s.

“Michelle and Melanie are two vastly different players,” Orender said. “Michelle plays more mechanically oriented, while Melanie plays more fluidly. [They are] both good styles and each style suits them individually really well.”

Nachtigall’s motivation in sports comes from personal determination and commitment.

“I want to do the best I can each time I play, both in practice and games,” Nachtigall said. “I love the competition that volleyball provides and it helps motivate me.”

Nachtigall went to Tanya for Junior High before transferring to this campus. It appears that she likes the change.

“For me coming to FCS was different than I first expected,” Nachtigall said. “It’s a smaller school than Tanya and it was a little easier adjusting because of my cousin, Jessica Berg, ?07. But after volleyball started I was able to connect with more people.”

Influenced by her older sister, Nachtigall’s athletic determination and spirit make her a valuable member of the team. As a freshman, she is the only representative for the class of 2008 as a starter on the varsity volleyball team.

“Back in elementary school, Michelle’s athletic career greatly influenced me,” Nachtigall said. “I’ve watched her play and she would even spend some time practicing with me during summer.”

Orender appreciates the important role Nachtigall plays on the team.

“Nachtigall has a tremendous heart and is a valuable asset to this team,” Orender said. “She is a great player and the best thing is that she is a freshman and we will see her develop into an even better player when she is a senior.”

For more information about volleyball contact the high school office at 299-1695, ext. 5. The volleyball team’s next game will be at home versus Tranquillity on Oct. 19.