School performs rendition of “Joseph and the Dreamcoat”

20160311-fc-joseph-002
[/media-credit] Roosevelt School of the Arts put on their rendition of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, which retells the beloved Biblical story.

Roosevelt School of the Arts put on Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, a musical adaption to the well known biblical story of Joseph in Genesis. The musical is narrated by a group of three women, Samantha Perez, Teya Juarez, and Sarah VanBindsbergen, daughter of FC’ s Math and Physics teacher, Rob VanBindsbergen.

We find out Joseph is the favorite son out of his father, Jacob, who has 11 other sons. Not only is he the favorite, but he also has the ability to prophesy dreams. This creates tension among his other brothers and even hatred. When Joseph is gifted a multicolored coat from his father the brothers anger boils over and they beat him and sell him into slavery.

The brothers fake their remorse when they break the news to their father in “One More Angel.” A dance break ensues after Jacob leaves, and the brothers celebrate. Meanwhile in Egypt, Joseph is sold to Potiphar where he is promoted to head of the household. He catches Potiphar’s wife attention and she begins to make advances at him, which he rejects until “one day she proves to eager.” Joseph is thrown in jail for a crime he didn’t commit.

Joseph begins losing hope and sings “Close Every Door.” The group of kids, and narrators comfort him in his lonely jail cell, and soon the whole cast performs, cheering him on in “Go Go Go Joseph” in bright, shimmery, 70’s outfits. Two fellow jail mates, a baker and a butler, are experiencing reoccurring dreams. Both are imprisoned by Pharaoh and each dream centers around whether they will live or not. News of Joseph’s gifts reaches Pharaoh who has been having disturbing dreams about cows.

It was obvious from the start of the show Director Tromborg wanted something different for his show. A new adaption for the popular musical and well-known story without actually changing anything. I admire his effort, but I am sad to admit it did not translate well onto the stage. Narrators are meant to tell a story about the protagonist’s struggles and how they overcome them. Without that, Joseph just became a wimpy main character not even the storytellers believed in. — Nicole Hudecek

Directed by Patrick Allan Tromborg, the show began decently. The trio of narrators voices melded well together, singing out in great unison. The energy of the cast made the beginning number fun and enjoyable. The brothers added a comedic effect, but the audience wasn’t given enough time to enjoy it as the narrators stole the audiences attention.

Throughout the show, the narrators were constantly given the spotlight above the rest of the action on stage. As the cast began their dance scenes, the trio was placed on stage somewhere either right in the center, or off to the side. I found myself being distracted by them rather than focusing on the main action.

It was obvious from the start of the show Director Tromborg wanted something different for his show. A new adaption for the popular musical and well-known story without actually changing anything. I admire his effort, but I am sad to admit it did not translate well onto the stage. Narrators are meant to tell a story about the protagonist’s struggles and how they overcome them. Without that, Joseph just became a wimpy main character not even the storytellers believed in.

[/media-credit] Nicole Hudecek, ’16, shares her opinion on the broadway play, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

There were multiple notable performances from members in the cast. Ensemble member Carlee Douglas always remained engaged in the ongoing action and steadied the cast’s energy as it began to decline. Julie Caudill, Butler and Mrs. Levi had built a repertoire of expressions. She was fun to look at and listen to as she nailed the over exaggerated actions her character required of her.

Hannah Lambert’s dancing was amazing as Potiphar’s wife. She has clearly been a dancer for years and it shows through her talent. Her skills brought liveliness to each scene she was showcased in.

Bryce Keller played the oldest brother Reuben, and Ian Jones, Simeon, who were always the best to watch. It was disheartening to think their acting abilities could have been appreciated in a much better role especially as their senior year wraps up.

The show closes this weekend with only four performances left. Friday and Saturday at 7:30 p.m. and Sat. and Sun. at 2 p.m. Tickets are $5 for students and seniors, and $10 for adults. For more information or to reserve your tickets located on their website.

This writer can be reached via Twitter @nhudecek16 or via email at Nicole Hudecek.

[rwp-review id=”1″]

For more reviews, read Spotlight shares true story, shines light on courageous reporters.