Modeling more than a look

As the cameras flash, the spotlight follows her every move. With her hair neatly in place, each muscle in her body becomes tense as she takes the runway, displaying her new attire.

Her soft composed smile soon fades into an anxious gaze as a multitude of eager spectators watch in admiration.

“I like to model and I love the people I work with,” Alexandra Hart, ’06, said. ” It’s also enjoyable to meet new people and it’s fun to try on new clothes.”

High above the ground, her hourglass figure glistens with every turn as if she owns the whole runway.

“I feel totally comfortable modeling because it’s something I always wanted to do,” Hart said. “At the fashion show there is so much excitement. When I am on the runway it’s almost as if I’m on top of the world.”

As she saunters towards the back curtains, her thoughts concentrate on her careful steps. She keeps her cool and confidently continues her walk.

“Whenever I’m walking down the runway I have this fear of falling or repeating the same walk,” Hart said. “But that’s what practice is for.”

Many teenagers who strive to become models attend various modeling schools, which point them in the appropriate direction.

“Gottschalks got my card that has photographs of me on it,” Hart said. “Through Barbizon, Gottschalks decided they wanted me to model for them.”

Barbizon Modeling Center offers training for modeling and acting to men and women of all ages.

“I took about a year of the Barbizon classes and then got accepted to take the advanced modeling courses,” Hart said. “I have been modeling for Gottschalks for four months.”

Although the director is proud of his models, he hurries them off stage into the dressing room for the next showing. Since Hart is a teenager, she models the junior look.

“Of course I will not model anything inappropriate,” Hart said. “I don’t have to worry about that because both Barbizon and Gottschalks would not have me do that considering my age and my look.”

Barbizon plays a major role to protect their students from the pressures of modeling clothing that is not fit for their age.

“I mainly model back-to-school clothes,” Hart said. “Gottschalks knows I am not the type of person who would model anything provocative.”

Modeling for department stores decreases the pressure and demands placed upon the model by larger agencies. For Hart, a smile on her face is all she has to remember.

“Both my parents think it’s a great experience for me,” Hart said. “They totally support me.”

As she poses on the runway, little girls observe in amazement as they dream of becoming just like her. According to Hart, modeling is not something a person can do for a full lifetime career.

“Although it would be fun and it’s certainly something I would enjoy doing for a long time, I am just enjoying it while it lasts,” Hart said.

For more information about modeling visit www.barbizonmodeling.com or www.gottschalks.com.