Junior class creates original 60s-themed float

The atmosphere of a junior class homecoming meeting resembles a thriving beehive. The workers buzz together comparing notes and ideas, and then fly in order to make their own hive even better.

This driving force behind the junior class’ motivation started with the accusation during the Homecoming of 2002 that parents helped build their freshman float, since it was so well put together. So, the class of ’06 set out to prove that they could build a great float without their parents’ help.

“The charge that our float was built by parents motivated us to make our float even better,” Tara Albrechtson, ’06, said. “We turned their comments into constructive criticism.”

Not only did these comments become motivation, class spirit was another repercussion.

“The persecution of our class brought us together and made us stronger,” April Fujihara, ’06, said.

This year, the juniors strut around campus with an assured air of confidence. Not only did they build everything without any parent help, but they danced to 60s music while they worked.

“The theme [60s] is cool because I listen to music from that decade all the time,” Brandon Cain, ’06, said.

Matthew Brouwer, ’06, known as ?Construction Guy’ around the float, helped tremendously with his carpenter skills.

“I learned construction from my dad and my grandpa, who was a construction contractor,” Brouwer said. “I can build much better than I can paint!”

Along with motivation, the juniors had a new addition to make building easier this year: cars!

“This year is exciting,” Albrechtson said. “It makes things a lot easier now that we are able to drive. If we run out of supplies, someone just jumps in their car and gets what we need.”

Now that licenses have been acquired, parental assistance is no longer needed.

“It’s nice to be able to drive,” Brouwer said. “Now I don’t have to wait on my parents to take me. I just get in my car and go.”

Although floats are the main event on Homecoming night, there are tons of fun events during the week, which includes theme dress up days and the pageants for Kings, Queens and Princesses.

“I love clothes from other decades, so this is an excuse for me to wear them,” Brianne Raymer, ’06, said. “It’s so much fun picking out outfits, plus I love seeing what other people wear.”

Dress-up days are not the only highlights of Spirit Week; pageants also thrill audiences.

“The king pageant is always the highlight of the week,” Kaley Hearnsberger, ’06, said. “It’s so funny to see all the king candidates up there dancing.”

Homecoming week is not only filled with rallies and float construction, but also unifies the students.

“The best part about Homecoming is to see everyone involved and come together as a class,” Cain said. “There are people out there working together who wouldn’t normally hang out and do stuff together.”

For more information on up coming school events, go to www.fresnochristian.com. For the daily announcements, scroll down to the school news icon and click on HS Daily News.