Campus prepares to part with long-standing art teacher

Scharf says goodbye to FC, will continue her passion

[/media-credit] Sharon Scharf, who has been a member of the campus community since 1982, is serving her final year in the halls of FC.

While seasons come and go, the mark left by faculty will always be remembered. Many teachers and faculty have left a lasting impact on the students and all of FC. Their dedication and service to the campus is greatly appreciated among those graduated as well as those attending.

From the day that Sharon Scharf was asked to teach high school art, little did she know of the lasting effect that God would have on her heart. The moment that Scharf got the job her passion for art grew along with her love for her students. Since the year of 1982, Scharf has been invested in FC, teaching since 1989. 

Now on her 27th year that she has been around the campus, she has enjoyed every moment of it. Many tasty cookies and pajama pants later it is time for Scharf to set down the brush and kitchen spoon at FC. Never would her work be forgotten, for her students will always remember the sewing and cooking skills first taught by her.

Before Scharf even received her spot on staff at FC, her daughter attended kindergarten here. When first offered the opportunity to teach high school art, Scharf was hesitant at first due to the fact that she was a registered dietician. While she was already working with the elementary students with watercolor projects she wasn’t sure of the duty and responsibility to teach HS art.

Looking back to when she first was asked to teach art, Scharf realizes the plan that God had had for her.

“I didn’t decide to work here, the Lord decided that I work here,” Scharf said. “The principal (Gary Schultz) asked me if I would teach art and my first response was I can’t teach art, I can do art but I can’t teach art because I am a registered dietician. He said not to say no right off the bat but to go and pray about it. That Sunday the pastor sermon was about not stepping out where the Lord leads you out of fear. And I felt like that was my neon sign, the next day I told the principle I’ll try and that he will have to help me learn discipline.”

During her first year of teaching art as well as with high school students, she was challenged to learn patience and integrity among the loud and noisy crowd of high school students. Overtime she has grown to look beyond the short comings to teach her students with a whole heart. While teaching at FC she has loved the way that she can touch the lives of students in a manner that no academic teacher can.

[fusion_soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/257271963″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

For those who attended her classes, many different kinds of mediums in art and cooking were taught to give students a broad spectrum. While it seems as the most top taught subjects are drawing and painting, Scharf made sure to give her students a well rounded learning experience. To her, everyone can find their niche in art, it doesn’t have to necessarily be drawing or painting.

All her life Scharf has always had a passion for art. Although she minored in art she originally got a degree in something she figured would better her chance at getting a job. But not knowing of the plan that God had for her, her artistic talents were needed. She was first inspired by a watercolor artist in Cochabamba, Bolivia, when she was in the Peace Corp. Since then she has pursued watercolors.

FC alumni Elizabeth Williams, ‘12, was enrolled in Scharf’s Art and Home Economic’s class multiple times. She enjoys her caring, spunky and passionate attitude towards her students that was incorporated in the classroom and kitchen.

20160203-fc-home-econ-001
[/media-credit] In the future, Scharf will continue to work with art and follow her passions.

“Mrs. Scharf could disappear into her towering closets of art supplies and return with new materials for you to try, and new ideas to consider,” Williams said. I am currently spending my last semester of college enrolled in an art class, so art is certainly still a part of my life. She really allowed space for exploration, which taught me that the only way to make art is to put the time in; from finding subject matter to rolling with mistakes. Also, she taught me how to use a sewing machine!”

Michael Fu, ‘16, appreciated her loving spirit and helpful assistance when teaching on new subjects and ideas.

“Mrs. Scharf is a very passionate teacher whether it is about making food, needle works, or drawings,” Fu said. She is also very patient towards her students just as an artist is to perfect his/hers work. She has opened up the world of multi-media drawing style to me as well as sparked my interest in watercolor. She is a teacher with many different talents. The patient and dedication she put into her students truly makes her an amazing teacher.”

Alumni Marie Fikse, ’93, thanks Scharf for her generosity and encouragement when learning about new units for the first time.

“She was a great teacher, I always enjoyed her class,” Fikse said. “I liked how she would teach us different techniques in art. I always felt like she cared about all of her students and she was very personal. She actually went to high school with my dad in Southern California and she would always ask how my family was doing. She always was very encouraging to me, I know I was not the most talented art student, but she had a way of making you feel that you were improving and doing really well in her class.”

In the future Scharf will extend her hobby of art and will continue to keep connected with the community at FC. On behalf of Fresno Christian and it’s students we thank Scharf for all her dedication and years that she has put into her students and work. Those who have had Scharf as a teacher or who have a personal connection with her, please leave a comment below.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @jennypenny8835 and via Email: Jenny King.

For more features, read Big Hat Day draws crowds, offers unique products.