CSF to send members to annual Quiz Bowl competition

20160408fc-quizbowl003
[/media-credit] CSF Quiz Bowl participants will be visiting Chowchilla High School to compete in the annual event, April 9.

Team of four test their trivia knowledge, April 9

Students from campus will be competing in the annual Quiz Bowl put on by the California Scholarship Federation, on April 9. Quiz Bowl and consist of three CSF members per school from high schools in the central region. This year’s event will be hosted at Hanford High School from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Campus students have taken first place in the competition before (in 2012, 2013 and 2014), and is no stranger to the competition. Students competing in Quiz Bowl spend many hours going over potential questions that may be in the event. Justin Houts, Phillip Christopher and Josh Carter will participate at the 2016 Quiz Bowl.

Quiz Bowl consist of random questions, so students have to study a variety of topics in order to prepare for the event. The event is similar to a game show, in that the first competitor to press their button has the first chance to answer the question. Students will not be penalized for answering a question incorrectly, so many rush to push the answer button as soon as they can.

Josh Carter, ‘16, looks forward to Quiz Bowl and has been preparing for the competition by reviewing random questions that could potentially be asked.

This is a unique competition because it tests students on all types of knowledge. Questions range from math problems to pop culture questions. I think it is a great experience because it allows students to test their knowledge and have a fun time participating in a friendly competition against their peers from other schools, both public and private schools. — Michelle Warkentin

“Over the past three weeks or so, Justin, Phillip and I have worked during lunch to practice random trivia as this is the signature mark of Quiz Bowl,” Carter said. “I am hopeful for how we are going to do. I do not have high or low expectations, but I am hoping for the best.”

Quiz Bowl offers a unique way for students to compete because the questions cover a variety of topics. Academic advisor Michelle Warkentin believes the competition is a entertaining way for students to be quizzed on what they know.

“This is a unique competition because it tests students on all types of knowledge,” Warkentin said. “Questions range from math problems to pop culture questions. I think it is a great experience because it allows students to test their knowledge and have a fun time participating in a friendly competition against their peers from other schools, both public and private schools.”

Since students are not penalized for answering questions incorrectly, many find the competition to be a fun and relatively stress free event. Many who compete look forward to hopefully participating in the event again.

20160408fc-quizbowl001
[/media-credit] The team consists of Justin Houts, Phillip Christopher, Andrew Moore and Josh Carter (left to right.)

Justin Houts, ‘16, looks forward to competing once again this year. Houts was the captain of the Quiz Bowl team in 2015.

“I look forward to my last time doing quiz bowl,” Houts said. “I had a lot of fun last year and I plan on trying to make that happen again this year. At the end of the day, it’s just a fun competition and a chance to to represent Fresno Christian, hopefully in a good way.”

Support the 2016 Quiz Bowl team by cheering them on this Saturday at Hanford High School.

This author can be reached via Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.