Coach inspires, circles track

Muscles twitch and hearts pump as track and field members push their bodies to the physical threshold. One of the most unrecognized sports in high school is truly the purest in form.

Ericlee Gilmore, campus track and field coach, aimed to prove this fact on Oct. 29 as he participated in a solo “fun run” to raise money for the upcoming track season.

“I talked to (Scott) Callisch about the possibility of a track fundraiser,”” Gilmore said. “I decided to host a run during a football game. The timing was good too, as it helped me prepare for my upcoming marathon.”

Gilmore plans to run in the California International Marathon in Sacramento on Dec. 5.

Gilmore ran 80 laps, or 20 miles, during the three hours of the varsity football game against Mendota. To some, it seemed like a lofty goal.

“Twenty miles within three hours is pretty rough,” Nate King, ’05, said. “I’m sure that fatigue set in pretty quickly and made it really difficult.”

Gilmore proved the skeptics wrong, finishing his race 15 seconds before the varsity game ended.

“I had to have a nine minute per mile pace,” Gilmore said. “At that rate, it will be easy to complete the 80 laps in three hours.”

Since the age of six, Gilmore has been running in order to keep himself fit. Using his talents for others seems to inspire students around the campus.

Gilmore incorporates his spiritual wisdom into athletics to motivate and encourage others.

“I think it’s really cool that Gilmore ran for the track and field team’s benefit,” Nate Weis, ’07, said. “It’s not often that coaches participate in the sport they coach, let alone raise money for their students.”

As Gilmore ran his last lap, over 30 students leapt off the bleachers to join him.

“”I ran about six miles with coach Gilmore,”” Will Hierholzer, ’07, said. “”I was sore afterwards, but I’m glad I did it. He seemed glad for the company.””

Gilmore’s goal was to raise over $400 for the upcoming season, but he ended up getting over $1400.

For more information, contact Gilmore at 559-230-0128 or [email protected].” “Brianna Stobbe, Photographer” “In order to raise money for his track and field program, Ericlee Gilmore ran 80 laps around the Clark Intermediate track during the Mendota football game on Oct. 29. Gilmore ran 20 miles and raised $1,200.” “” “” “Insert text here