Passion drives some to serve

With 15 minutes remaining and an eye on the target, a swift move to the left and, swish, the bag of trash flies into the can. The sweet sensation of a long day of community service is indescribable for most.

For some students, a day of service is close to the feeling after winning the gold.

Five hours of community service is required for underclassmen in every Bible class each semester, and colleges look for students with service in mind continually, not just those who complete their hours because they are required.

“Colleges look for students who have a passion to make an impact,” Jon Endicott, vice principal, said. “For instance, they would be very interesed on someone who would organize a food drive and follow it through.”

Community service gives students an opportunity to impact and learn about their community through service.

“They learn that the world is bigger than themselves,”” Endicott said. “”There’s more to life than video games and computers.”

Community service may not always be a simple task; it requires someone to take time out of their daily lives and be committed to helping others.

“A good servant takes a person with a lot of heart, someone who really wants to make a difference in the community,” Endicott added. ” Colleges look for people that can meet needs and have a passion for it.”

Freshmen Katelyn Aydelotte and Kara Linkowski demonstrate a heart for service as hospital volunteers. The two started to serve last summer at Kaiser hospital in the orthopedics office.

“When we finish working we’re pretty tired, but it’s worth it to know we helped people,” Aydelotte said. “It’s a really satisfying feeling when you know you’ve made a difference.”

Aydelotte and Linkowski volunteered at the hospital once a week throughout the summer. They filed papers, ran errands, stamped papers and assisted nurses and doctors.

“We loved having the chance to help others and be involved in the community,” Linkowski said. “We’ll serve anywhere we’re needed, and our parents were glad that we’re involved with something.”

Aydelotte and Linkowski plan on finishing community service together. The two anticipate giving more time to hospital work.

Other students on campus are ready to serve with a positive attitude and a serving heart.

“This year I’m going to do volunteer work at my church and help people clean their house and stuff like that,” Karen Reed, ’07, said. “It’s a lot of work and really tiring, but deep down I’m know I’m doing a good thing.”

For more information about community service, talk to a Bible teacher or contact Endicott in the high school office at 299-1695, ext.5.