Emotional intelligence key to life

Palms sweat, knees quiver, eyes dart back and forth and mouths stutter with speech. Is this is part of an involuntary response during a job interview, an awkward date invitation or just paranoia?

In a position of anxiousness, reactions differ but nervousness affects people regardless of age or experience. Most people have a lack of emotional intelligence because they were never taught to cope with emotions and feelings.

Recently, the study skills class, taught by Jon Endicott, Vice Principal, has been exploring the importance of emotional intelligence to help prepare the class for life.

“Preparing for study skills is important,” Endicott said. “But we also need to look at emotional intelligence.”

According to psychologists Salovey and Mayer, who coined the term, emotional intelligence is the ability to perceive, understand emotions and regulate emotions to promote emotional and intellectual growth [www.myskillsprofile.com].

“This is my first year teaching emotional intelligence,” Endicott said. “I hope to give exposure for life and school and being motivated at being a good student, and how to act upon it.”

People who possess these skills are healthier, less depressed, more productive at work, and have better relationships [www.myskilllsprofile.com].

“This study should go beyond relationships,” Endicott said. “Finding out our emotions, how to realize the emotions of others and managing them is an essential part of studying and life.”

The study skill class listens to lectures on the subject of emotional intelligence and participates in a variety of activities.

“Recently the class had an activity that required the students to make up emotions visually off of different people,” Endicott said. “We are also reading two books, Raising our Emotional, and Emotional Intelligence, beside class discussion.”

Although there is only a week remaining on the study, students find the experience worthwhile.

“I have greatly enjoyed Mr. Endicott teaching about emotional intelligence,” David Quenzer, ’07, said. “He has led me to believe that your emotions are not just pointless things that you keep to yourself. But they are how you express yourself to others.”

For more information regarding emotional intelligence go to www.myskillsprofile.com or contact Endicott at [email protected].