H Spees, journey and trials of the race

Spees portrays family man, communal leader

The cameras stop rolling, media teams file away, awaiting reporters pack up, moving on to the next story. The bright lights are off and behind the scenes, mayoral candidate, H. Spees, portrays a spiritual, communal advocator as well as a family man.

Spees with wife Terry, is a father of six children and ten grandchildren.
[/media-credit] Spees with wife Terry, is a father of six children and ten grandchildren.

In any type of political race, whether it be mayoral or presidential, candidates carry a hopeful philosophy upon their shoulders for their campaign. The race becomes “survival of the fittest” as candidates battle for voters and attention. Candidate H. Spees instead seeks to paradigm his hopeful term to bring the best within his community.

While Fresno situates as two communities, those wealthy and those living in poor communities, Spees hopes to bridge this gap between the two to bring together a stronger community. By bringing the two together, every neighborhood will become connected rather than separated by money standards.

For much of his life Spees has been dedicated to serving those living in lower communities. Rather than abandoning the call, Spees reaches out to poor and underprivileged neighborhoods. Over a decade ago, Spees and his family moved over to one of the poorest neighborhoods in Fresno, Lowell. While living there both his wife, Terry, and him were gripped by the rising levels of crime within the city. They both felt led to make the move in order to better the growing issue. To this day they continue to live there.

While the location wasn’t the safest, Spees felt that God laid on his heart to make a difference. Amidst the feeling of discontent, Spees began forming partnerships with leaders from various sectors of the community. Until two years ago, Spees believed that he could take his service to his community to another level by joining the race. With constant prayer and guidance from close friends around him he felt a sort of affirmation from God that this was something he was supposed to do.

As your mayor I will do what ever it takes to keep our city safe,” Spees said. Public safety is the first promise our government makes to their people and I intend to keep that promise so that we can flourish in many other areas. My love for serving and loving other people comes out of my faith, my hope is that my campaign that I race on would be an expression of my faith rather than something separate.— H Spees

Since this dynamic decision, Spees understood that the campaign wouldn’t be a piece of cake. Long hours and situations of conflict combined with the physical challenge of speaking added to the stress and political load that Spees had to take on. Along the way Spees has identified people to come alongside him in advice, prayer and companionship.

In preparation for the race Spees has participated in spiritual retreats that have given him time to recuperate and focus on his goals as a candidate.

“Campaigning is probably one of the hardest things I have ever had to do,” Spees said. “It pushes you physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. In addition to this, I spend time every morning reading scriptures and reading a book called ‘Jesus Calling’. Its been a joy to meet people of faith throughout the city who are doing impactful things. Although the spiritual journey has been challenging, everyday I love my city more.”

When competing in the race, the pressure of media and political standards can have an overwhelming affect on a family. With personal attacks, rumors and lies pinned on each candidate a price is paid with the family as it is with the candidate. Spees and his family have made sure to create a tight bond that secures bonds of honesty, trust and faith. While in some cases, a race has pulled families a part, Spees and his family intend on staying true to these ideals in order to stick through the race.

“It is very important for every candidate to sit down and have an honest conversation with their family before taking on an endeavor like this,” Spees said. “A campaign can have the potential to pull families apart but because of the honesty, directness and grace we have with one another the campaign has brought us closer together.”

H and Terry Spees
[/media-credit] Candidate H. Spees seeks to paradigm his hopeful term to bring the best within his community.

For forty three years Spees has been involved within several churches as a pastor. While it seems as though he shifted his occupation to mayor recently, Spees has simply shifted from someone who has been a community leader to taking on the position to run for mayor. For years he has took part in volunteering; he has started and overseen multi million dollar organizations that have delivered health care, housing and jobs that have developed in Fresno.

Over the course of these years Spees has had connections with previous mayors, police forces, educational leaders and firefighters in various parts of the city. By connecting these dots around the city, Spees intends to use these resources to improve the quality of life in Fresno.

“Shifting as a communal leader to the level of mayor means that I can adhere to a larger level of service in the community,” Spees said. “It means leveraging the resources of the city to address the key issues by improving the safety of neighborhoods, payment of jobs and creation of excellent schools.”

If elected, Spees hopes to create safer neighborhoods by focusing on the issue of crime. As a father of six children and ten grandchildren (and one more on the way), he destine’s to make the community the best it can be for his grandkids and for his citizens.

“As your mayor I will do what ever it takes to keep our city safe,” Spees said. Public safety is the first promise our government makes to their people and I intend to keep that promise so that we can flourish in many other areas. My love for serving and loving other people comes out of my faith, my hope is that my campaign that I race on would be an expression of my faith rather than something separate.”

For more information on H Spees visit H Spees for Mayor.

For more top 5 articles read, School year comes to an end, Feather takes break.