• FCHS Cheer Tryouts - April 18-20
  • Boys Volleyball Senior Night - 4/18

Homecoming queen and princess announced

In a tradition that is steeped in ceremony and pomp, the annual Homecoming festivites were highlighted by the announcement of the 2001 Homecoming queen pageant. As fathers and special chaperones walked princess hopefuls in front of the crowd, only one would be chosen queen on Nov. 2.

The entire student body voted over the last two weeks for class princess representatives and for Homecoming queen. The senior class princess was Annie Falk and Samantha Kimball was honored as the queen of Homecoming.

While the candidates did not campaign, all were nominated by class representatives. In an earlier competition, dubbed boot camp, Kimball defeated Chelsea Myers, ?02, by one point. Kimball rode this infamous honor into Homecoming as the favorite to win the queen pageant.

“The queen pageant was a bunch of fun,” Kimball said, “especially since the other candidates are such great girls. It was kind of embarassing though, having to make a fool out of myself with the whole school watching. I guess that is the point though.”

When the nominees arrived at half time on the field, they were surrounded by friends and peers who clamoured for photographs. Most girls were escorted by their fathers. Carlos Moran and Kaelie Fisher, both ?01 graduates returned as last years king and queen to present the winners to the crowd.

“It was so fun dressing up and being with the girls I really love to be with,” Falk said. “The queen pageant was fun for everyone because we looked like dorks in front of everyone.”

Kimball will return next year, like Fisher, as reigning Homecoming queen to pass on the legacy.