College workshop clarifies process

The growing dread of filling out applications gnaws away at the soul of the procrastinating senior. Hundreds of questions jumble together in their already fatigued brain. Is it better to apply on-line or manually fill out hours of paperwork? What is the FAFSA?

How do aspiring college students attempt to make their applications stand out from the masses? All these questions, and more, will be answered at the campus’ college planning night.

“It’s a workshop,” Jon Endicott, vice principal, said. “It’s not a college fair. We will go through the application process and financial aid so the students will know whether they are presenting their application, as well as themselves, properly.”

At the meeting, Endicott will give helpful hints and recommendations on essays. He will also lead bewildered seniors and their parents through the financial aid process, especially how to apply for FAFSA, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.

Dori Richardson, ’05, is one of the many seniors in the process of applying to college and is glad her most perplexing questions are being answered.

“The essays were the most tedious and time consuming part of applying,” Richardson said. “I was flustered at the beginning, but it’s getting easier.”

Richardson said she would attend the workshop to iron out the remaining details and get answers to some unanswered questions.

“The students must take ownership,” Endicott said. “It is up to them to find their college and present themselves to the best of their ability. Parents can only do so much.”

“I’m really looking forward to college,” Richardson said. “It’s scary to think about sometimes, but I know I’ll have lots of experiences to look forward to.”

The College Planning Night will take place at 7:00 p.m. in the Jackie Johnson Hospitality room on Nov. 23. All campus seniors and their parents, as well as home school students, are strongly encouraged to attend.

For more information contact Endicott at [email protected]. Individual appointments are available for those who would like to meet with Endicott before or after the workshop.