Powderpuff football motivates class competition

The football team strides out of the locker room, confident in their abilities. Each player psyches themselves up, preparing to crush their opponents.

As they take their places on the field, one player stops to adjust her hair as another brushes dirt off her pink uniform: welcome to Powder Puff football.

Each class will send out a representative team of girls to battle for class pride on the football field during the annual Powder Puff football contest on Nov. 19.

Powder Puff football gives the girls from each class the opportunity to go head-to-head in a flag football face off.

Many girls go into the game with a “win at all costs” attitude, hoping to show that girls can be just as tough as guys.

“I’m looking forward to pushing people around,” Sarah Mesple, ’07, said. “Last year the freshmen took last place, but it was still a lot of fun.”

This year, the senior girls are ready to dominate the field.

“We are going to dominate underclassmen,” Suyen Milian, ’05, said. “Sorry freshmen, but you are all going to get beat!”

The senior class of ?04 won the tournament last year but underclassmen still have hopes of defeating the odds and taking the trophy.

“I signed up for Powder Puff this year because I really like football,” Micaelah Aleman, ’08, said. “I’m not intimidated at all by the other teams.”

Not all the girls have a desire to play but anticipate on being spectators and cheering on the other students.

“I’m not really in to football, and I didn’t feel like playing,” Victoria Ball, ’08, said. “But, I do look forward to watching my friends play.”

Male members of each class volunteer to coach their female counterparts to a glorious victory. Others serve as cheerleaders, rooting for their team.

“I thought it would be a fun experience to coach the girls because I play football and it’s fun to teach someone else how to play,” Ryan Brun, ’08, said. “I also wanted to be able to participate in Powder Puff without being a cheerleader.”

Another important part of Powder Puff is the class T-shirts. Each class designs a uniform (often a shirt) to help to classify and unify each team.

“The Powder Puff T-shirts are a good way to remember fun activities during my high school years,” Karen Reed, ’07, said.

For more information on the Nov.19 Powder Puff football game, contact the high school office at 299-1695, ext.5, or talk to the class leaders.