Basketball anticipates successful season

The screen is forcefully set after the point guard dripples down the court. The wing runs swiftly toward the basket before leaping into midair, crashing the boards just prior to the ball swirling into the hoop.

Mike Neal, varsity boys’ basketball coach, plans to work his team hard to make a good season.

“With December right around the corner both teams are working hard and preparing for the upcoming season,” Neal said. “With the returning varsity players, we plan to take the league by storm and hopefully bring home a league championship.”

Last season the basketball team did not have any seniors playing, but this season the senior varsity members contribute experience to the team.

“I am looking forward to the new season,” Wesley Wells, ’06, said. “The team did not lose any players, we only gained experienced players. Unlike the pervious season, we now have seniors playing on the varsity team.”

Through dedication and hard unity the team plans to become better than last season.

“We have been working hard this preseason,” Brandon Cain, ’06, said. “But we need to come closer as a team.”

Dan Avila, last seasons’ varsity girls’ coach, has left this campus to pursue another path. He passed the torch on to Tracey High, girls P.E. teacher.

“I plan on utilizing our strengths: speed and agility and building on some of our weaknesses to become top of our league,” High said. “I an hoping for a fun and productive season; the strengths of the girls encourage me to believe in a good season.”

The girls on the varsity basketball team must reach their full potential for a productive season.

“The season should go pretty well,” Hillary Kell, ’05, said. “I am worried that I will not live up to the expectations of my coach and teammates.”

One of the main priorities for the team is to find unity on and off the court.

“I am really excited about this year,” Tara Albrechtson, ’06, said. “Our team works really well together and has a lot of potential.”

The boys’ first tournament will be in Kerman on Dec. 1-5. The girls’ first tournament will be in Santa Maria on Dec 2-4.