Football team set to transition back to 11 man

There will be no football game 10/23 because of a scheduled bi.
[/media-credit] The football team will begin their transition back into 11-man football this year.

Another school year has arrived which means that football season is right around the corner. In just a few weeks, the FC Eagles will hit the field once again, hoping to defend their Valley championship title. The Eagles are coming off a, 9-2 season in which they defeated Riverdale Christian, 63-6 to win their first Valley championship since their transition into 8 man football.

As the players started their summer practices, there was a new vibe out on the field. Water bottles were distributed throughout the field, reducing the need for water breaks, music was played to help keep players focused and engaged. Practices began to be filmed to help show players what they need to improve on. In addition, the coaching staff welcomed Reggie Williams, former Iowa running back.

Throughout the summer, players were told to, ‘trust the process.’ This year will be unique for players as the football program is in the process of transitioning back into 11 man football. The Eagles currently have three 11 man games on their schedule.

Along with the new uniforms and coaches, head coach Russ Counts notices a change in Fresno Christian football.

“With the new uniforms and chrome wings on the helmets, Fresno Christian football will have a whole new look,” Counts said. “No other team in the valley will have what we have. The coaching staff is also different. It has coaches from the past as well as new coaches for more specific positions. These coaches have been brought together by God.”

Despite 20 years of coaching, Counts believes that this is the most committed team that he has ever coached. He also thinks the team has a shot to win back to back valley titles. He is looking forward to Oct. 28, where the Eagles will host their first 11 man game since their transition to 8 man.

“Many of the players have worked outside of practice and on their own to become faster and stronger,” Counts said. “I have coached for over 20 years and this team has the most commitment than any I have ever had the privilege to coach. I believe this team can win back to back league titles. On Oct. 28 the Eagles will host Stone Ridge Christian in an 11 man game at home. This will be an epic night.”

With the help of the coaches, Sage Sobrado, ’17, feels that the team is functioning like a college team. With high expectations for the season, Sobrado hopes to receive a division one scholarship. Sobrado enters the year as a four year senior.

“I am excited for the upcoming season because we are transitioning to 11 man football,” Sobrado said. “We have a lot more coaches and I’ve started to notice that things are becoming more serious. We are starting to function like a college level team. I expect to do very well this season and I am hoping to receive a division one scholarship.”

20150828-football-004
[/media-credit] The Eagles will play their first game against Big Valley Christian, Aug 27.

Despite football being more physically demanding than any other sport he’s played, first year player, Will Vander Kooi, ’17, has enjoyed being a part of the football team. Vander Kooi appreciates the coaches pushing him to be his best and thinks that team will do very well this season.

“I have been enjoying playing football,” Vander Kooi said. “Our coaches push us hard to become the best we can be. Football is much more physical than any other sport I’ve played. You’re right in the middle of the action, hitting people as hard as you can. We have very good players and coaches so I think that we will do well.”

The Eagles will have a scrimmage against the other teams in the Central Sierra League on Aug 20. The scrimmage begins at 9 a.m. and is hosted by Fresno Christian. The Eagles’ first game will be on Aug 27 against Big Valley Christian. Come out and support your Eagles!

For another article on FC football, read: Football Sport Short: Riverdale Christian Academy.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @nick_leblanc1 and via email: Nick LeBlanc.