Alumni continue service to Fresno

20160816-bigby-002
[/media-credit] Trevor Trevino, ’17, interacts with children over the summer at Bigby.

Volunteers mentor children during free time

There are many things one can accomplish throughout the summer. Whether it’s going on vacation, staying home, relaxing, or getting a summer job, a few FC students and Alumni decided to give back over the summer by partnering with an organization called Fresno Street Saints. Through this service organization they mentored and played with kids in west Fresno.

Fresno Street Saints was established 14 years ago in 2002. Alumni Alexis Kalugin, Gillian Rea, Julianna Rosik, Timothy Nyberg and current student Trevor Trevino, ’17, were volunteers in this organization throughout the summer. They had the opportunity to connect with the kids by playing games such as soccer, capture the flag, as well as board games.

The group of students met twice a week with Fresno Street Saints and provided both breakfast and lunch for the kids. One of the staff members of Fresno Street Saints, Veronica Wilson, comments that Fresno Street Saints was created to bring a sense of community in west Fresno.

“Fresno Street Saints was formed out of a desire to transform one of the highest concentrated poverty areas in the nation,” said Wilson.  “Our Director, Brian King, is a former high ranking gang leader from Chicago, who after years of violence and destruction, decided to channel his leadership abilities into a mission of transforming the gang community in southwest Fresno.  We are a gang prevention and intervention program which focuses on children, youth, and their families.”

By building friendships with the kids these volunteers were able to have a summer filled with laughter and joy. Trevor Trevino, ’17, not only had the opportunity to impact the children’s lives but left with a softened heart.

“Going twice a week to Bigby to play with kids impacted my life tremendously,” Trevino said. “The kids there made me realize that being joyful is a choice, and not a feeling. No matter the circumstance, they were always more than willing to play games, talk and have conversations, and most of all have fun.”

20160816-bigby-003
[/media-credit] Alumni, Timothy Nyberg, spent his summer playing with children of all ages.

There are many ways to serve in Fresno that anyone can take advantage of. This is a great opportunity to interact with kids, create friendships and serve the community. 

While the organization just lasted for a few weeks during the summer a much more lasting impact was left on the hearts of those who served. FC alumni, Alexis Kalugin, said that saying goodbye to the kids on their last day was very hard and bittersweet.

“Getting to know the kids at Bigby was so touching,” said Kalugin. “God has put this community on my heart and a greater love for the kids grew over summer. Saying goodbye was hard but encouraging to know that Fresno Street Saints is still pouring into these kids lives.  I know most of the team and I are looking forward to going back during breaks from college and school.”  

The goal of Fresno Street Saints is to have a positive and healthy interaction with the kids during the times they are not in school. In the future, Street Saints hopes to increase parental involvement with children and provide them with a chance to learn life skills.

For more features read, FC welcomes new coach, student liaison.

This author can be reached via twitter.