School year kicks off with 40th Convocation

20160815-fcs-convocation-018
[/media-credit] Chief Operating Officer of Peoples Church, Brad Liebe, leads in prayer for the upcoming school year.

New students and faculty join in annual meeting

Beginning on the first day of school a sense of new beginnings buzzed among students and teachers. Old and new faces entered the front doors of the People’s Church sanctuary eager to kick off the new year. The 40th convocation was set to begin.

The morning kicked off in its usual fashion with worship led by Daniel Garrison and alumna, Gillian Rea. Following the time of worship was a scripture reading by FC chairman of the board, Chris Schultz. Schultz then introduced superintendent, Jeremy Brown.

Brown first started off with welcoming all the families back for another year at FC. His message was for the community was that ‘Our best days are ahead of us.’ He had five main points, one of which being that FC has 127 new students this year. The remaining four points regarded legal victories protecting our Christian institutions and the upcoming expansions of FC.

Brown also brought up his reoccurring challenge for the FC student body, the Caleb Code: Seek truth, speak life, and serve others. Following this he introduced a new challenged for students to have a helping heart for others. Once convocation was over students said their last goodbyes and headed to their classes.

Mother and alumni of FC, Kristin Weis attended convocation this morning with her sons, Tanner, ’28, and TJ, ’26.

“I love it, I love being able to drop off my kids at school and know that they going to be able to participate in worship and have the chance to open up their Bibles, pray with their friends and teachers,” Weis said. I’m thankful for the support  they receive at school.”

Grandparent Patti Mynderup joins her grandchildren Kayla, ’25 and Caleb, ’26, for another convocation to start the school year.

“Convocation this morning was really great,” Mynderup said. “We have been to every convocation so far.”

New student Jayda Armstrong, ’20, enjoyed the friendly welcome she received as a new member of FC.

20160815-fcs-convocation-003
[/media-credit] Elementary students share in their excitement as the new school year kicks off.

“I think the convocation was great,” Armstrong said. “Its really good to have a Christian community around us and I enjoyed how sweet all the kids were. I would describe my first day as amazing, all the kids were nice and welcoming.”

A few new announcements and changes were made to the school year. Homecoming will be moved to the first week of Oct. rather than the final week. Back to school night will be held Aug. 22 at 7p.m. and will go to 9 p.m. Information about teachers and classes will be discussed during this event.

For more upcoming events visit the Fresno Christian calendar.