Football wraps up season

The crowd looks to the scoreboard at the end of the game. Two minutes remain. For the fans it symbolizes the end of the game, but to the players on the field the fast-waning seconds signal the conclusion of their season.

Varsity football, lead by head coach Jon Hall, ended their season with a loss against Tranquility, Nov. 12.

“We could have tried harder in our last game,” Derek George, ’06, said. “I think we kind of slacked off because we all just wanted the season to end.”

The team’s final record of 4-6 did not live up to the expectations of some of the players, but many were able to utilize their tough year, making it a learning experience.

“There is no feeling like winning after a hard battle on the field,” Tim Wilborn,’06, said. “But, as fun as winning is, losing is a crucial part of football; it helps us learn from our mistakes.”

A slew of injuries throughout the season proved a difficult obstacle for the team to endure.

“Our team played well at times,” Hall said. “But, we had a lot of key injuries, which really contributed to our low statistical numbers.”

Now the season has ended, begging the question: Who will be named the Most Valuable Player [MVP]?

“I think the MVP will be Tyler Charest [05],” George said. “He was one of the best players on the team.”

Opinion differs over who should be awarded the coveted MVP title.

“Jesse Madsen [?05] seems like the team’s MVP to me,” Danny Ortiz, ’05, said. “Jesse always played his hardest and his best.”

With the season over, the players put aside their memories of their year and look forward to next season.

“I think our team did satisfactorily this season,” Ortiz said. “I think next year they have a shot at doing even better, although I won’t be on the team.”

Underclassmen who will return to the field next year look forward to their next chance for a winning season.

“I think that next year the team might do well” George said. “But the loss of so many key seniors may be crucial.”

Off-season programs will be beneficial for the team as they prepare for the future.

“The off-season training program is an opportunity for us to get back to the basics,” Hall said. “We will be working on improving our passing. Hopefully, the time we put in will end up giving us a better season next year.”

For more information about the football program, contact Hall at [email protected].