College classes offer enrichment

When I started to plan my senior schedule, I realized that I had very few courses left that were required for graduation.

To fill this curricular void, I considered taking extra electives and also claim work experience, which would have allowed me to leave school early after seventh period. Then I was informed of a better option: go to college!

I knew I was only a senior in high school; college was at least a year away. But thanks to the 15% High School Enrichment Program, I ventured onto the Clovis Center campus in the first semester of my senior year.

In the 15% program, high school students in their junior or senior year with a GPA of 2.5 or higher and approval from their school’s administration, can take up to two classes per semester. The program is offered at all Reedley College branches, which makes quick transportation to most locations possible.

A student may only take a class that is not offered at their high school, so most take advantage of their wide array of classes.

Because most high schools are limited on which classes they can offer, the 15% program is a fantastic alternative. It allows you to choose what you would like to study. I decided to take Photography, a subject I always dreamt of learning.

Alysa Muzny, ’05, also participates in this program. This semester, she is enrolled in American Sign Language, which she hopes will benefit her future career.

“I am taking this class because I want to be a nurse,” Muzny said. “I believe there is a need for nurses who can communicate with deaf patients.”

Another bonus regarding the 15% program is that students receive both high school and college credit for their classes. That is why many use this opportunity to get a head start on their future education.

“I am taking sign language because in the college program I am going into at Azusa Pacific my foreign language must be taken as summer school,” Muzny said.

Credits are not the only thing students take away from their experience however; they are able to taste college life first hand.

“I am enjoying this class because it gives me a chance to broaden my horizons,” Muzny said. “I talk to college students and ask them questions and practice meeting new people.”

For myself, this program required much of my effort and time. However, many of my fears and anxieties regarding my future in school were relieved.

I encourage everyone to look into the 15% program. So, if you find yourself in the same situation I was in at the beginning of my senior year, take the time to research your options. Do not waste your last years of high school with classes you do not need or want to take.

In order to find out if you qualify for this program, talk to Jon Endicott, vice principal, for more information. Because many colleges have early deadlines for enrollment, be sure to act quickly; and keep in mind that this opportunity does requires diligence and responsibility.

For more information contact Jon Endicott at 299-1695, ext. 126 or visit the following websites www.northcenters.com or www.reedleycollege.com/services/counseling/fifteenpercentprogram.htm.