Drama team epitomizes teens' dreams

“High school? high school?. We don’t have a pool…” The group of girls harmonizes as they try to ignore flashing cameras and fans screaming in the crowds. For those aspiring rock stars out there, this may sound like a dream come true.

Yet, for the girls who are parts of the cast in “The Rise and Fall of a Hip Teenage Christian Girl Band,” this dream will be coming true relatively soon.

“We have nine sophomore girls in drama this year,’ Tom McEntee, drama director, said. “They have brought a lot of new blood to our drama class because they all have so much energy and excitement for drama.”

Sophomores Heather Neel, Kristen Amerine, Alexandra Byrnes, Jaclyn Blackwell, Barbara Krikorian, Haley Tamberi, Kimberly Weis, Samantha Grizz and Lindsey Barbour create a major part of the 30-person drama team.

Each girl has her own goals and hopes to get something different out of her drama experience.

“I hope this year I will become a better actress,” Weis said. “I am also looking forward to the New York trip in March of next year where our class will be attending a drama workshop.”

The drama team has been working on a play called “The Rise and Fall of a Hip Teenage Christian Girl Band,” written by McEntee. McEntee writes the majority of the plays that the drama team performs each year.

Amanda Dring, ?06, and Krikorian will be playing Cindy O’Bryan, the lead singer of the band.

“Cindy is a dreamer,” Dring said. “She wants to be famous, but once she is famous her head gets a little too big.”

Dring and Krikorian are both honored to star in the play, and will try their best to make sure the play turns out well.

“It feels great to be the lead in the play,” Dring said. ” I always try my best in every part I have in a play, but getting the lead encourages me to be the best I can.”

The drama team works anywhere from a couple of weeks to two months on each performance. New members of the team often have more work to do, in order to catch up with veteran members.

“This is my first year in a drama class,” Grizz said. “I decided to join drama because I love to act and be loud.”

Attitudes and the ability to learn quickly are essential to the success of the team.

“Grizz has a wonderful attitude in drama,” McEntee said. “Since this is her first year in drama, she had to learn all the basics in drama very quickly.”

The behind-the-scenes work that goes into each play often surprises new members.

“The hardest part about drama is memorizing all the lines and actions and then doing all those things together on cue,” Grizz said. “Even with all the memorizing, I have really enjoyed drama this year.”

McEntee hopes the play will send an inspiring message to both students and parents.

“The message is that sometimes God’s idea of success is different than ours,” McEntee said. “It will be beneficial for students but I am hoping the message will also be send to adults, to help us through life.”

The play will be preformed in Ground Zero on Dec. 9th, 10th and 11th. For more information regarding the play and drama club contact the high school office at 299-1695 ext. 134 or contact McEntee at [email protected].” “Brianna Stobbe,
Photographer” “A talented class of sophomore girls has infused a breath of fresh air into the drama class.

Here, Kristen Amerine, Haley Tamberi, Ali Byrnes, Heather Neel and Barbara Krikorian, all ’07, look over the latest drama script.” “” “” “Insert text here