Promo: Seniors embark on annual retreat

20160425fchume002
[/media-credit] The senior class will travel to Hume Lake for the annual senior retreat, Sept. 25-26.

Students set to travel to Hume Lake for trip

As the seniors enter their final year in high school, many are looking forward to the senior retreat. For over 20 years, the class would travel up to Calvin Crest, however, there is a change in venue this year, as the trip will be held at Hume Lake, Sept. 25-26.

Publications adviser Kori Friesen will be accompanying the seniors on the trip. Friesen’s personal connections with Hume is part of the reason for the location change.

“We have been wanting to build a stronger connection with Hume over the last few years as we feel fortunate to live so close to such an amazing ministry,” Friesen said. “There are some personal connections that I have with Hume that allowed us some ease of planning and involvement. For more then 20 years we have been going to Calvin Crest and they have been absolutely wonderful in hosting us and allowing us to come. We just wanted to try something new.

While at the retreat, the class will build relationships with each other and strengthen their walk with Christ.

“The purpose is to bond as a class,” Friesen said. “There will be team building that will allow the students to develop a foundation that will guide them through their year. We hope the students make some great memories, build relationships, and spend some time reflecting and growing in their relationship with Christ.”

FC seniors enjoyed their weekend retreat at Calvin Crest.
[/media-credit] This year the Senior retreat will change venues from Calvin Crest to Hume Lake.

With the opportunity to create new friendships, Tyler Vanderlinden, ’17, believes that everyone will enjoy the retreat. Vanderlinden hopes that the senior class strengthens the relationships that are already existing.

“I think that everyone will enjoy the trip and have a good time,” Vanderlinden said. “I see it as a opportunity to grow closer to already existing friends and a chance to meet new ones. I feel like our class is one big group of friends. Hopefully this trip will just strengthen that bond that we already have.”

Julie Donis, ’17, will not be attending the senior retreat. While she believes that it is a good oppurtunity to bond with her classmates, she has other plans. Donis will be playing in a softball tournament instead.

“I’m not going to the senior retreat this weekend,” Donis said. “I understand that the school is trying to bring us closer and I really do appreciate that. I think it is good but I am currently planning on playing softball in college and that is more of a priority to me right now. Instead of going on the trip I’ll be playing in a tournament.”

The students will leave at 8:15 a.m., Sept. 25 and will return around 7 p.m., Sept. 26.

For another article, read: Debate team returns, teaches life skills.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @nick_leblanc1 and via email: Nick LeBlanc.