Thanksgiving day of gratitude

Juicy turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet yams, pumpkin pie and plenty of gravy? the one word that combines all these items has to be Thanksgiving.

Although these succulent foods are now considered commonplace, many historians believe that much of the food we currently consume in mass quantity was not at hand during the first Thanksgiving feast in 1621. Items such as dairy products, potatoes and ham were rare amongst the colonists during that time.

Although they probably had cranberries, pumpkins and other vegetables, they did not come in the form of pies, sauces or casseroles. Instead, they were eaten plain or dried.

The colonists did not celebrate Thanksgiving every year, and the day did not become a legal holiday until 1941.

Other aspects of this day of thanks have mutated over the centuries.

“I go to my grandma’s with my family for Thanksgiving,” Danae Cook, ’05, said. “We watch football, play cards and games, talk and eat.”

Some students feel this holiday holds little more significance than any other typical day.

“To me, there isn’t much difference between Thanksgiving and any other Saturday,” Brian Kaiser, ’07, said. “The only real difference is that relatives come over. We just watch TV and play family games.”

Various programs are televised every season, making watching TV a common Thanksgiving pastime among families.

“My dad and I usually watch quite a bit of TV on Thanksgiving,” Corinne Pogue, ’06, said. “We go back and forth between watching the Macy’s Parade and football.”
Even though much change has occurred regarding Thanksgiving, the reason behind the celebration remains the same.

“I am most thankful that we get a break from our busy school schedules,” Cook said. “I also like getting to go out of town and see relatives that I haven’t seen in over a year or two.”

Like on the first day of thanks, many reflect on the blessings their Lord has given.

“I use Thanksgiving to remember everything I am grateful for and everything that God has provided for me,” Kaiser said.

For more information on Thanksgiving visit the following websites: http://www.historychannel.com/exhibits/thanksgiving/main.html http://www.infoplease.com/spot/tgturkey1.html.