Choral music department bonds during retreat

Students grow closer together through annual Bass Lake trip

unnamed
[/media-credit] Throughout the choral trip to Bass Lake, students spent time bonding with each other as well as learning music.

Starting in 2015, choral director Susan Ainley began taking her choral groups to the DeGroot’s cabin up in beautiful Bass Lake. According to Ainley, the weekend gives a start to the entire year musically and frienship-wise.

The cabin setting near the water provides a place where students can spend time together, bonding over not only music, but games, food and lake time.

The bonding happens as students sing and play games with each other. The trip is relaxed and gives many opportunities for each person to get to know the others whom they will perform with.

Tyler Villines, ’18, shares his positive experience bonding with the other guys in his choir class.

“Coming into this year of choir, I didn’t know the guys as much,” Villines said. “This trip helped me to really be able to bond with them and know more about them. Now I can say they’re like my brothers.”

The choir and both contain a diverse group, including students from new schools, students new to choral music, and many incoming freshmen. Each person brought their own personality, which made the trip the memorable.

Despite the trip being unlike any other she’s been to, Andrea Soravilla, ’20, enjoyed the trip and thought that it was more relaxed.

“It was more relaxed than the other trips,” Soravilla said. “I liked that everyone was always singing and messing around with instruments that were there.”

The choir trip also included many different games and activities that either the students or Ainley brought. The “couch game” which is popular amongst students helped them to know the names of the other singers.

Shared moments between members of choir and ensemble contain fellowship through Christ and his word. Many students went down to the docks and prayed and worship God with each other while the sun rises upon the lake on Sunday morning.

unnamed
[/media-credit] Students would go down to the lake and spend time with God.

Students later listened to Ainley speak about learning to love others and love God after having breakfast with each other. They then broke off into small groups and discussed the topic and prayed together. As each person shared their stories and experiences, they continued to encourage one another through their faith in Christ.

Getting to know everyone better throughout the trip was Marissa Parker’s, ’17, favorite part.

“My favorite part was spending time on the lake and just getting to know everybody better on a personal level.”

This trip for many brings new friendships and things to look forward to for many music students. Not only are they now able to continue with their love of singing, but are able to support each other with prayer and encouragement. Many students, including myself, cannot wait to see where this year will take us.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @julz_lozano19

For last year’s article on choir retreat, read Bass Lake choir retreat.