Soccer girls couple agility, mental strength

Dull cleats trample the defenseless field to an agonizing death and slightly under-pumped balls whiz through dank air. Only one conclusion proves plausible, girls’ soccer has commenced!

Intricate footwork, coupled with agility and mental strength play an essential role in successive soccer results. Every afternoon, over three strenuous hours are dedicated to training the girls.

“We’re not focusing on who has the best ability,” Robert Foshee, girls’ soccer coach, said. “The main emphasis is on those who are dedicated and working hard.”

Despite age and ability differences, the soccer season consistently builds a bond between the girls.

“We get to know and respect every girl’s style,” Jennifer Rose, ’08, said. “We encourage each other to play hard and smart.”

Challenges constantly present themselves to the girls. Kristen Amerine, ’07, suffers internal knee complications that occasionally prevent her from strenuous activity.

“I’ve played soccer ever since I was in kindergarten,” Amerine said. “I’ve learned that if I can mentally overcome the pain, my physical performance improves as well.”

Amerine went on to explain that when she’s on the field, she strives to focus on overall strategy.

“I’m very competitive,” Amerine said. “I mark my “man” and I block her with a passion.”

In the past, Amerine has engaged in league and competition soccer in addition to school and recreational teams.

“Some girls get pretty rough on the field,” Amerine said. “I always feel encouraged when I steal the ball from them or knock them over.”

Amerine expressed hopeful, yet slightly doubtful, feelings toward the team’s potential.

“I believe that eventually we will be an amazing team,” Amerine said. “But right now, the girls are lacking inspiration. We aren’t connecting as past teams have, and there isn’t a lot of communication on the field.”

The girls’ first scrimmage was against Memorial High on Nov. 24.

“It was a bad game,” Melissa Jimenez,’05, team captain, said. “Memorial is a division 1 school and we’re a division 5, so it was obvious we weren’t going to do well.”

Jimenez went on to explain that the campus team did not score a single goal and that most of the players eventually concentrated on defense only.

“We’ve never played together as a team before,” Jimenez said. “So we weren’t really sure what to expect of one another. In addition, we weren’t prepared physically.”

As scores are not kept at a scrimmage match, a final score was not determined.

While FC lost to Central Valley Christian, 3-6, on Dec. 6 to open their season, the girls did rebound and defeated Immanuel, 8-1, on Dec. 9. Ashely Sherr, ’06, scored four goals to led the Eagles. The girls next play in the Peggy Renberg Tournament at Clovis West on Dec. 10-11.

For more information on girls’ soccer, contact Foshee at [email protected].