Teriyaki Don crosses cultural lines

At a little past noon, hungry customers rush to Teriyaki Don. The aroma of oriental herbs and spices sweeps throughout the building. The dominant theme of the restaurant seems to replicate a mix of modern Japanese art and a 1950s American diner.

The casual dining experience in no way hinders the quality or quantity of their dishes. Patrons choose their own tables, but order at the cash register. The patron can select to dine in or take their entree to go.

Even if there are not many customers dining in, the walk-in foot traffic keeps a constant flow of people moving in and out of the restaurant.

Usually, the combinations of salad and generous portions of rice accompany one’s choice of meat: steak, chicken, beef or poultry or fish. The variety of Asian dishes seems endless, encompassing multiple teriyakis, soups, sushi, and other unique meals.

Teriyaki Don adds a twist to the American classics; their teriyaki burger combo meal comes with tempura-like French fries, for under $5.

The cheapest item on the menu is a hamburger, reasonably priced below two dollars. The most expensive selection, the Chicken, Steak, and Shrimp teriyaki combo runs about eight dollars. Fresh sushi costs from $3-6.

“The portions of food are very generous,” Victor Cabias, ’05, said. “I ordered a beef steak and the thing was huge; it came with a salad and a bowl full of rice. I was stuffed. Plus, the best thing was it was all under $6”

One of my personal favorites is the Crispy Spicy Chicken Teriyaki, which contains a salad and large amounts of rice covered with chicken. It is a very economical buy for under $6.

Teriyaki Don’s service satisfies even the toughest critic. Their staff performs at the highest level of friendliness and efficiency.

“The atmosphere here [at Teriyaki Don] is very inviting,” Chris White, ’05, said. “As you enter, the theme of the place reminds me of a Japanese ’50s diner.”

Teriyaki Don earns an A for their quality of service, food, and a refreshing atmosphere.

For more information, visit Teriyaki Don at the corner of Cedar and Herndon, or contact them by telephone at (559) 439-6759. They are open Mon-Sat 11 A.M.-9 P.M. and Sun. from 11 A.M.-8 P.M.