FC turns back time: Day 1

20161003-homecoming-monday-003
[/media-credit] In today’s rally the junior class was able to pull off the victory with the best class cheer, Oct. 3.

Decades day kicks off homecoming week

Homecoming week officially kicks off today, Oct. 3. An eventful day full of activities set the stage for the week ahead. Today’s theme, ‘Decades Day’, set the tone for this year’s theme ‘FC Turns Back Time.’ Across campus, students donned clothes that represented the area chosen by their class.

The freshmen class traveled back to the 60s for their theme. Tie dye and faded jeans were a common site among their class.

Brittany McCann, ‘20, took advantage of her first homecoming week as a highschooler and decided to go all out with her costumes.

“I have always been a fan of decades before the 2000s, and actually the 80s is my favorite, but my class chose the 60s so I decided to go all out,” McCann said. “I wanted to have fun with it. I am really excited for the rally and all of the dress up days.”

Meanwhile, the sophomore class dressed as the “Greatest Generation” as 40s is the decade they represent this week. Many girls in the class depicted “Rosie the Riveter”, however others took a more classic approach to the decade.

Fiona Hampel, ‘19, put a classic spin on her outfit by wearing an old dress with a large necklace.

“This used to be one of my family members older dresses,” Hampel said. “The atmosphere really changes within the school during homecoming week. People seem giddy and happy. It feels nice because it is sort of hectic but at the same time it’s more upbeat.”

The junior class turned back time to the 50s with their retro costumes. Juniors wore a variety of clothing representing their decade, but many chose to dress as a “greaser” as this is popular in films about the era.

One student who decided to go with this “greaser” look was Matthew Oliver, ‘18.

“My inspiration (for his outfit) was just a classic kind of idea, white t-shirt, with jeans that are rolled up,” Oliver said. “I kind of dressed up as a greaser from classic movies that most people have seen. I am looking forward to seeing what everyone else does for their outfits. A lot of people go really creative and go really in depth.”

The senior class threw it back to the days of disco with their 70s inspired costumes. Many seniors wore jeans with vibrant colored shirts.

Some students were unsure of how to dress for their decades so they turned to the internet for inspiration. Trevor Trevino, ‘17, wore a large wig with a tie dye bandana to represent the era. Trevino looks forward to the entire week, especially since he is a candidate for king.

“To be honest, I just looked up 70s homemade costume ideas on Pinterest and I saw a bunch of wigs, so I went to the closest Halloween store and bought one,” Trevino said. “This homecoming, I just look forward to having a good time. As a king candidate, I just want to, on the night of homecoming, meet a lot of people and see all of the alumni. I just want to await the moment of being named king.”

Unlike previous years, this homecoming week featured a rally at the beginning of the week. The rally took place during what would normally be advisory. Student leadership did their best to get the student body pumped up for the rest of the week.

The leadership class thought that kicking the week off with the rally would excite students for the rest of the week. Rally coordinator Julian Castro, ’17, explains the reasoning behind the rally being changed to a Monday this year.

“The rally was changed to Monday this year,” Castro said. “We did that because it was the best time slot that it fit in with the rest of the homecoming schedule. The idea behind it was to start off the week with a rally to get the students excited.”

20161003-homecoming-monday-006
[/media-credit] Sophomores Kamryn Schultz and Amanda Grimmius dress as Rosie the Riveter for Decades Day.

The rally featured a variety of games aimed to get students into the spirit of their chosen decade. One such game required classes to guess which decade a particular song was in, while another involved throwing a beanbag through the correct circle. Points were awarded to the classes that won each game. These points will count towards the overall score.

Joey Huang, ’18, is excited for homecoming and looks forward to the week ahead.

“I liked the rally because it really hyped up homecoming,” Huang said. “It’s really nice to see all of the classes bonded together as a whole and try their best to finish the task. Homecoming is here, I’m ready to have fun.”

Alina Ochoa, ’19, enjoyed the rally but wishes her class would have participated more.

“I liked the rally because of the games,” Ochoa said. “I didn’t like that much my class didn’t participate in the rally. I hope that our class doesn’t get last place.”

At the end of the rally, each class had two minutes to come up with a cheer. After the cheering had subsided, Castro announced the winner. In the end, it was the junior class that was able to pull of the victory and win the rally.

Be sure to follow the Feather as more events from this year’s homecoming week continue to unfold.

This author can be reached via Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.

[rev_slider alias=”Homecoming2016Monday”]