Lights announce holiday season

The cold winter nights, trees all a glow, this could only mean one thing: Christmas season has arrived. Many neighborhoods go full force into the holiday season with annual events that bring the Christmas spirit alive.

Homeowners turn their streets into a magical winter wonderland. Among these is Christmas Tree Lane, where residents along Van Ness Avenue decorate their houses for visitors to enjoy.

“It is a great tradition that we have,”” Brandon Diaso, ’05, said. “”It gets my family ready for Christmas.”

This annual tradition began 84 years ago when the Winnings family decorated one tree along Van Ness Boulevard in 1920 in memory of their son who died. In following years, the other neighbors also began to decorate; eventually Van Ness became known as Christmas Tree Lane.

It is the longest decorated lane in the United States. Fond memories of Christmas Tree Lane are made by residents who are involved in the activities each year.

“It is really great to see everyone in the holiday spirit and we all get really involved,” Diaso said. “It has to be one of my families’ favorite times of year. We get into all the Christmas music and have parties, it is like a tradition every year and the history behind it is really great also.”

Many other neighborhoods, such as historical Huntington Boulevard in East Central Fresno, exhibit the holiday spirit with a variety of holiday festivities. This festival of lights showcases the Christmas spirit with the lighting of the Wishon tree, the largest lighted live tree in the United States.

“It has been a tradition here for a long time and it brings many visitors,” Juan Jimenez, Huntington Boulevard resident, said. “We celebrate Christmas every year at my home and the decorations add to the season. My grandkids love it, we have made so many memories and had so many great experience here.”

The Christmas season has brought neighborhoods together as they are filled with holiday joy. Many residents give up several weekends to come together and decorate to make their homes look spectacular. Among these neighborhoods is Candy Cane Lane, which started its festivities on Dec. 4 and will be running thru Dec. 26.

“It is great to see people come and view what we have done with our neighborhood, not too many people have decorated their homes like we did in the past,” Michelle Lakes, Candy Cane Lane resident, said. ” I hope that our hard work and participation can make the holidays that much more special for those who come and visit our neighborhood.”

Although these neighborhoods charge no fees to view their festivity of lights, they do accept donations. Santa Claus accepts donations on Christmas Tree Lane as well as on Candy Cane Lane. These neighborhoods showcase their holiday spirit with thousands of twinkling lights and other festive holiday decorations.

Enjoy the holiday season and take a stroll down these neighborhoods as you anticipate the arrival of Christmas day. For directions to Christmas Tree Lane, Candy Cane Lane or Huntington Boulevard visit the links below. It may be a night out that may fill you with holiday cheer.