All I really want for Christmas

The cookies wait, laid out on the coffee table; stockings filled with goodies and brightly wrapped boxes under the tree present temptations to little ones. Timmy lies in his bed, eyes wide open, as he patiently awaits the next morning, Christmas Day.

Every year boys and girls of all ages ask their parents for gifts, hoping that they will find the desired items under the Christmas tree. Each year there is something new, the latest thing to buy, but it can be a real hassle finding that perfect gift.

“Last year I got a 13-inch T.V. with a built-in VCR,” Sarah Bonnar, ’07, said. “This year I want clothes, money and gift cards to my favorite stores.”

Each Christmas season comes wrapped in its’ own unique holiday rush of gift buying for friends and loved ones. For many people, receiving gifts is the most exiting thing about the holidays. It can be easy to forget the true meaning of Christmas in this type of atmosphere.

“The best part about Christmas is coming together with my family and fellowshipping with them,” Bonnar said. “I think that people tend to lose sight of what Christmas is really about.”

Department stores all over have annual Christmas blowout sales, promoting new gift ideas. JCPenney department stores have a slogan that reads, “unwrap the magic” for their holiday watch sale.

Some people start Christmas shopping early in the year to avoid the rush, others wait until they are fighting over the last plastic snowman.

Christmas can be the happiest and warmest time of the year for some but the hassle of buying presents can leave a person tired and run down.

“I usually start shopping Thanksgiving week for Christmas,” Daniele Wilborn, ’08, said. “It can be stressful at times figuring out what to get everyone.”

This year popular gift ideas include electronics, (phones, DVD players, game systems etc?) clothes, DVDs and the ever-popular gift, money.

Though the holidays can be stressful, it is a good opportunity to give to others little gifts of joy. So, even though gift giving can be crazy, it can be worth it to see a smile on someone’s face and maybe people will learn the true meaning of Christmas.

“Remembering Christ is first is the most important part about Christmas,” Christof Schnur, ’06, German exchange student, said. “All the shopping and food makes people forget what Christmas is really about.”