Community service teaches consideration

First semester is nearing its end and students eagerly anticipate Christmas break. As the days seem to rapidly disappear in a whirlwind of finals, and excitement, it grows difficult to focus on the significance of the upcoming holiday.

As young men and women, it is our obligation to take advantage of what little youth remains in us. Everyday we mature physically and mentally, and soon, we will have no choice but to make constant sacrifices while facing the real world.

Some students don’t appreciate campus values, while others become so enveloped in their daily lives that true consideration of current times, rarely occurs.

Just in time for the holidays, campus bible teachers assigned a community service project. While a few students griped and whined about the project, others were grateful for the opportunity.

The project entailed volunteer work, work for non-profit organizations, mission trips, food shelters or elderly visitation. Students were not allowed to receive payment for their services, or to work for family or friends.

Despite slight procrastination or mistakes in hours, it appears that students may have benefited from the project equally to those they served. Perhaps those who carried out their service grudgingly also benefited but are currently unaware.

Churches, nursing homes, Christmas tree lots and Angel tree projects were only a few of many different areas where students invested time and effort.

God constantly presents us with chances to serve others. After all, wasn’t Jesus the greatest servant of all? He constantly stressed the importance of humble service and genuine compassion.

Thankfully, this project stimulated a sense of responsibility and appreciation in student’s minds. Perhaps that consideration was short lived in a few students, but if even the smallest shred of it remains, then all the effort was worth it.