Santa Clara hosts campus tour, shows hospitality

[/media-credit] Santa Clara University hosted a campus tour, Oct. 15.

University visit helps engage students

As I stepped foot onto Santa Clara University, I had no idea what to expect. The thought of this university being my possible home for the next four years was daunting. I quickly realized however, that I would be perfectly fine with attending SCU.

As my family pulled up through the main entrance, we were immediately greeted by current students who helped direct us where to go. After finding our way through the university, we were led to the recreational center. After listening to multiple speakers including, President Father Michael Engh, everyone was separated into three groups based off which major you were interested in. The groups were, “Arts and Science,” “Business” and “Engineering.” I decided to go with the, “Arts and Science” group to try and learn more about their communication department.

I misinterpreted the structure of the presentation as it wasn’t geared toward a specific major but rather an overview of all the majors that fell in the, Arts and Science department. After the presentation, there were multiple students waiting outside with signs. Once again, we had the opportunity to split up as each sign led to a different part of the campus.

Before the tour, I had no idea what to expect. I am pleased to say that afterwards, I was very impressed with Santa Clara. The hospitality of all of the people and the neatness of the campus will definitely make this school one to remember. — Nick LeBlancĀ 

I decided to go to the Alameda Hall where tables were set up, each with a different major. Students from each major were running the booths, waiting to inform visitors while also able to answer questions. I first made my way over to the communications table. There, I talked to current students along with the communications adviser. I was hoping to have the opportunity to meet some journalists but was unable to do so. I was disappointed, as it would have been cool to see how journalism was run at the college level.

Santa Clara University - Santa Clara University's Mission Church
[/media-credit] Santa Clara’s campus is very well kept and modern

I then made my way over to the business table. While there, the students not only answered my questions concerning business, but also my general questions. After I saw the booths, I went on a tour throughout the communications building. I also sat in an actual classroom and was taught how the everyday class was run.

The scheduled tour was over after this, but I decided to walk around the campus on my own. I went to the dining hall to grab a bite to eat. There were many different options including a coffee shop and a farmers pantry. The food seemed a little expensive but the quantity made up for it. As I walked throughout the rest of the campus, I was impressed with how well kept it was. The campus was so beautiful and all of the buildings looked pretty modern.

Before the tour, I had no idea what to expect. I am pleased to say that afterwards, I was very impressed with Santa Clara. The hospitality of all of the people and the neatness of the campus will definitely make this school one to remember.

For another article, read: Cell phone use can be beneficial or detrimental to education.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @nick_leblanc1 and via email: Nick LeBlanc.