Civil War Reenactment engages with the past

20151024-fc-civilwar-013
[/media-credit] The 27th annual Civil War Reenactment will be held at Kearney Park, Oct. 22-23.

Living history continues tradition at Kearney Park

For the last 27 years there has been a Civil War reenactment at Kearney Park in Fresno. Attend the Civil War Revisited presented by the Fresno Historical Society to experience the clamor and valor of battle reenactments, Oct. 22-23.

As with past reenactments, there will be a prolonged battle in the middle of the park, and off to the side tents set up with characters talking about what happened during the Civil War and what their roles were. Food trucks and BBQ pits will serve people items from pizza to corn on the cob.

Besides the battles at 1 and 5 p.m. on Saturday and 1:30 p.m. on Sunday, the event schedules period music presentations and artisans like blacksmiths, broom, rug, rifle, soap and lace makers as well as spinners and weavers. Hundreds of dedicated reenacts, plus living history characters donate their time and talents to make this an educational event.

Every year there is a Veranda Dining experience where customers can purchase a table with eight seats for $500. Being seated at a table means you will be provided with a meal, two bottles of wine, and beer that is made available for purchase.

Blacksmiths, rug makes, broom makers, and many others will be there selling artisan things like silver ware, brooms, rugs, soap, and also stuff for the kids. Actors will portray real life characters from the Civil War era like Donald Ancell who show what it was like to be Abraham Lincoln.

Participating in the reenactment is open to the public. Stephen Walters, ‘18, who was in the reenactment last year as a Union Soldier loved to participate in the reenactment. He thinks it is important to go to it so we understand our past. 

“I think it’s important because learning first hand about the aspects of our war, not only the event, but the way it was fought is very educational,” Walters said. “By attending the event we have a better understanding on how we got where we are today.”

Other historical figures like Harriet Tubman, and locals who help shape Fresno County in its earlier days like M. Theo Kearney will share his take on early Fresno and Marcus Pollasky will speak to group about the San Joaquin Valley Railroad.

img_9538
[/media-credit] There will be tents set up where souvenirs are available for purchase and characters will be present to answer civil war questions.

Alex Rurik, ‘19, will not be attending this year but has attended in the past. He enjoys experiencing the authenticity of the event

“I like going to the Civil War reenactment because of the canons,” Rurik said. “They are very loud and big. The event as a whole make you feel like you are actually watching the Civil War. I used to go every year but I am busy this weekend so I can’t go.”

Whether students come for the food, battles, recreations of camp life, including a military hospital and medical reenactment, the two-day event is one of the largest in the western United States.

Gates open at 10 a.m. at 7160 West Kearney Boulevard, Fresno, CA 93706. For more information, visit the Fresno Historical Society or call 559.441.0862. Tickets are $10 per adult (including parking), $5 for children ages 6-12.

Kearney Park has hosted the event for 27 years. The park will close at 10 p.m. on Saturday and the event ends at 3 p.m. on Sunday. A special soldiers dinner will be Saturday, 4:30-10 p.m. and a special lantern led Widows’ Walk from 6-6:15 p.m. the same night. The Veranda dining experience at the mansion will be from 10 a.m.-1:30 p.m. Following will be a tea time which lasts from 2-5:30 p.m.

In other upcoming events, read Promo: Operation Christmas Child delivers boxes, brings hope.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @reese_brownie