Ethics questioned, morals relaxed

The question of ethics plagues every country, every nation and every person. It is impossible to go through life without formulating a moral (or immoral) code by which to live.

Recently, this nation has created many contradictory laws. One illustration of this hypocricy is the Scott Peterson double murder trial. He is being sentenced for killing his wife and unborn son. However, anyone who gets an abortion, which is perfectly legal, kills an unborn child.

This nation seems to destroy its foundation of moral standards when it accepts moral laxity as commonplace. Because some people do not believe in God or Jesus Christ, those who do cannot speak of Him at a government or public level; so much for freedom of speech.

“Since our nation was formed on Christian foundations, I think that means we need to uphold high moral standards,” Kim Bimat, ’06, said. “I think we need to be honest in our relationships with people and not act hypocritical.”

More specifically, some individuals notice a trend of increasing sexual immorality in contemporary culture and the media.

“I believe that morals in this country are decreasing,” Lindsey Martens, ’05, said. “It seems like large amounts of the media praises sex before marriage.”

Ethics involve every person, not just those of Christian faith or standing. Saagar Patel, ’05, expresses his own opinions on moral standards.

“Your moral beliefs affect all aspects of life no matter who you are,” Patel said. “Everyone needs basic foundations of moral standards,”

Alec Kneefel