Tournaments show promise, strengths

The boys’ varsity basketball team opened the non-league season with a pair of tournaments in December.

The first, the Kerman Kiwanis Tournament, took place in Kerman on Dec. 1-4. The Eagles finished the tournament with a record of 1-3.

The second tournament, the San Diego Small Schools Tournament, occurred in San Diego on Dec. 8-11. The boys played four games and came home with a 2-2 record.

After only a few weeks of practice and the loss of starters Matt Brouwer, ’06, and Josh Wright, ’05, due to injuries, the tournaments showed both the team’s weaknesses and strengths.

“Our last two tournaments were something out of the ordinary,” Mike Neal, boys’ varsity basketball coach, said. “We experienced a lot of ups and downs since two starters were down with injuries.”

The loss of the starters prompted others to step up their game.

“Seth Lane (’06) has really shown that he is ready for the season to begin,” Neal said. “Ross Charest (’05) has also been playing well this pre-season. As the leader in all areas, he has shown great leadership and the ability to pick others up when they are down.”

While the team finished sixth in the Kerman Tournament, Charest scored a tournament total of 113 points, two points of shy of the tournament record.

“I was very disappointed when I learned that I barely missed the record,” Charest said. “But overall I felt the tournament was a good experience because it showed us where we need to work harder, and it will help prepare us for league play.”

The boys next host their own FC Small Schools Tournament on Dec. 12/28-30.

For more information on the boys’ varsity basketball team, visit www.thefeather.com and click on Sports Brief or contact the high school office at 299-1695, ex. 5.