Respect: No options allowed

Teenagers do not respect the older generation; it’s become a common problem in our society today. Parents consistently remind their kids to respect their elders, but the majority of time, teenagers do not listen. I don’t think its intentional, it is just something students do without thinking.

There are times that my parents tell me not to do something but I don’t always listen; I do it anyways. I feel really bad afterwards but the act is already done; what can you do? Later I will apologize because I was rude. Most parents, because they love their kids, will forgive them; and mine are no exception.

Teachers on campus also agree that teenagers do not respect the older generation. Adults believe it’s because the culture emphasizes youth independence and reinforces stereotypes of questioning or ignoring those who are in authority.

The biblical mandate to honor parents is intrinsic to our cultural history. “Honor your father and your mother, as the Lord your God has commanded you, so that you many live long and that it may go well with you n the land the Lord your God is giving you” (Deuteronomy 16).

Students should try their best to respect the older generation. It’s not just because it’s the right thing to do; it is commanded by God.